Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Failed
RoadkillUK

posted on 17/9/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Failed

We went for SVA yesterday at 8am (got there in time this time), unfortunately it failed

It's not a bad fail, mainly sharp edges.

Take a look at this page or feel free to look at my entire website

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
subk2002

posted on 17/9/04 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thats not to bad.
Good luck for the re-test.

Cheers Drew

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 17/9/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not bad at all mate! At least its nowt major! you'll be on the road in no time!
JoelP

posted on 17/9/04 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
unlucky lee. Those damned radius' will be the death of me too... so much trouble over such an insignificant nitpicking rule. god damn them all.

Any plans yet on how you intend to cover the shockers etc?

Northy

posted on 18/9/04 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Any plans yet on how you intend to cover the shockers etc?

I used a pair of old model car racing tires with foam inserts. I just undid the bottom of the shock, and popped them on.

Where do you want a pair sending?

I used rubber trim on the exhaust edges, its still on there! It will not melt off, trust me.

Mr Angry Grinder will sort the uprights out, or a big file. Then just touch up the paint.

Bend a piece of ali into an "L" shape, and mount the foglight on the right-hand side of the car. Then move it back to where it is now after the test. Thats what I did!

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 18/9/04 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Take damper off and stretch a bit of rolled up bike innertube round it. You could do the silencer with motorbike ones, anyone who gets hit by that will have been run over by the front wheel anyway. The clamp just wants turning round to the inside.

[Edited on 18/9/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RoadkillUK

posted on 18/9/04 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the suggestions but the thing that I'm having the most problems with is the locknuts for the ball joints.

We've been to BBN Fastnet, a couple of loacal motor factors and Ford but we cannot find any locknuts.

Has anyone got a pair of M18 fine nuts (insert own joke here) please, either to sell or loan.

Personally I don't think they need them because it's not as if they are going to come off !!

Northy, it that an offer of a pair of old model tyres? If so, I'm interested.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

mookaloid

posted on 18/9/04 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I wrapped a length of wing piping around the top and bottom of the springs and fastened them with cable ties - it looked neat and passed! (taken them off now though)
flange nut

posted on 18/9/04 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
How did they fail the rear exhaust mounting on the radius? It looks like they couldn't get the "ball" device in there.
RoadkillUK

posted on 18/9/04 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Locknut update !!!

I've got 2 from Darren at GTS, cheers Darren.

Flange Nut, he did the the ball device in there. Thats a standard Lolocost SS exhaust if anyone's wondering, or has one.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

Northy

posted on 18/9/04 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
Northy, it that an offer of a pair of old model tyres? If so, I'm interested.

Yeah, no worries. Just let me know where to send them to.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

rusty nuts

posted on 18/9/04 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Have used a VW/ Audi exhaust clamp on my lolocost exhaust, get a genuine part . It clamps the exhaust much tighter and looks a hell of a neater!! just use a dome nut instead of the original, Also was the noise level O.K.?? as I still have to S.V.A. mine, best of luck . Rusty.
Mark Allanson

posted on 18/9/04 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Have used a VW/ Audi exhaust clamp on my lolocost exhaust, get a genuine part . It clamps the exhaust much tighter and looks a hell of a neater!! just use a dome nut instead of the original, Also was the noise level O.K.?? as I still have to S.V.A. mine, best of luck . Rusty.

The VAG ones are about £8, but very similar ones are available from factorys for half the price Rescued attachment Exhaust Clamp.jpg
Rescued attachment Exhaust Clamp.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

RoadkillUK

posted on 18/9/04 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Rusty, the exhaust passed noise emmisions without a problem.

Northy U2U, thanks.

So far I've located some locknuts, I'm going to use rubber edging for the exhaust radius, I have moved the needle on the speedo (found a photo and the needle was on 0 when I got it), I've moved the foglight, Northy is sending me some old model tyres for the shocks, The uprights will be rounded using a grinder. Just have to work something out for the exhaust bracket, I'll let you know tomorrow.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 18/9/04 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Turn the clamp so the nuts face the car and can't be contacted. The ones Mark shows would be o.k. but could still be turned through 90 degrees to be on the safe side. Bring the bracket from under the car floor and upwards so it's under the silencer.

[Edited on 18/9/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 20/9/04 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Lee, have you come up with a way of covering the exhaust mounting bracket yet? i've made one that looks virtually identical so I need to cover it somehow before my sva next monday

Cheers

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/9/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking of using 1/2 a ball over the whole lot and fastened using one of the nuts

Hope that makes sense.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk

rusty nuts

posted on 21/9/04 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply about noise level Lee . Was something that I was a little worried about, Rusty
UncleFista

posted on 28/9/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Retest passed :)

Just thought I'd pop my head in and update everyone.

Me and Roadkill took the car for another drenching across the pennines today for the retest and it passed within 10 minutes which was considerably quicker than the wait at the Leeds DVLA office.

Lee (Roadkill) will be along with details as soon as he's run out of petrol/money

What a blast !

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

andyps

posted on 29/9/04 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations on the pass.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.