Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How close can things get?
Mark Allanson

posted on 3/7/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
How close can things get?

As many of you know, I have a pinto in a book chassis and now I am fitting everything, I am finding, whist everything fits, they are all VERY close to each other.

There is no guidance in the SVA manual about clearances, how close have SVA passers bits and pieces been?

In particular, the gearbox is mighty close to my brakepipes on one side and the tunnel upright on the other, they don't touch, but I fear that an SVA inspector may say 'what if...' Rescued attachment TunnelClearances.JPG
Rescued attachment TunnelClearances.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 3/7/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd fear those injuns - they are a better shot!

AFAICS - the gearbox should miss the pipes by virtue of the radius on the box... that's what it looks like from here!

Failing that, you could always relocate the brake lines to be sure...

highspeeddirt

posted on 3/7/04 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Where my brake/fuel pipes came close to my handbrake balance bar I made up an ali plate to protect them. This passed SVA .

Steve

CairB

posted on 4/7/04 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,

Remember that the gearbox will move a fair amount when under load, gear changing, over bumps and cornering. Some of this movement can be reduced by stiffening up the gearbox mount.

I'd make sure that the gearbox is prevented from hitting the pipes by hitting something else...not the fuel pipe tho.

Cheers,

Colin

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/7/04 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I don't want the gearbox to move more than 5mm either way, perhaps a redesigned bottom mount is on the cards

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.