Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA date.
paulf

posted on 18/6/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
SVA date.

Ive finally got a date for my SVA test , it is the 1 July at Nottingham.
After a few weeks of doing little to the car i am now remebering all the little jobs i havent got round to finishing.
My main concern is the speedo calibration but I have now got a hand held gps and am planning to take the car to the airfield to try and calibrate the speedo.If it is far out i am considering painting over the markings and re numbering the face.
The other alternative is a bike speedo but would i need to remove the main speedo?
Paul.

spunky

posted on 19/6/04 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Due to lack of responses from genuine knowledgeable members I'll post my thoughts.
I cant see there being any regs saying that you can only have one speedo as long as they both read accurately.
Alternatively, cant you make a 'proffessional' looking cover for the main speedo.

John

Like the idea of making your own callibrated face, you could do a tidy job with a white ring covering the numers and use some lettreset transfers for callibrated speed...good lateral thinking

[Edited on 19/6/04 by spunky]

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

Peteff

posted on 19/6/04 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Or print your own on the computer. Rescued attachment dial.jpg
Rescued attachment dial.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

paulf

posted on 19/6/04 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think that this is what i will do, I will write down the actual speed from GPS and the indicated speed and then make a new speedo face to correspond.
My main problem will be getting the high speed readings before i run out of smooth road, as the airstrip is an ex WW2 airfileld and not in the best of condition.
I supose that if I can get readigs up to 60 or 70mph i can work out the error above this.What is the maximum speed that the speedo is tested to ? as there should be no need to be accurate above 70 as the car will never excede this will it?
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by spunky

Like the idea of making your own callibrated face, you could do a tidy job with a white ring covering the numers and use some lettreset transfers for callibrated speed...good lateral thinking

[Edited on 19/6/04 by spunky]

paulf

posted on 19/6/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave i am very pleased to have finaly reached this stage, but am now starting to panic a bit after the car has been nearly finished for the last 6 months but i havent bothered to do the little odd jobs required.
I am hoping to go to the airfield on Tuesday morning depending on the weather and other commitments.
Hopefully will be on the road for the August meet at Ansty.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst
Paul
Well done getting to the SVA stage!

Don't know the answer, sure someone will.

If you need a hand at the airfield let me know and I'll be there for sure!
regards
Dave

paulf

posted on 27/6/04 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I didnt manage to get there last week as to many other things to do, I did jack the car up and checked the speedo aginst the rev counter and found to be giving 15mph per 1000 revs in 4th and 20 per 1000 in 5th.I think this may be about right so will probably wait until thursday and find out.I still need to fit some cover strips to cockpit sides and check the fuel tank doesnt leak, which are the jobs for tommorow.Then all i have to do is sort the trailer and bodge the exhaust on my tow car to make sure it gets me to nottingham.
Paul
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst
Paul
How did you get on with your speedo calibration at the airfield?

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.