Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Compliant Unions (to quote Frankie Howard)
Mark Allanson

posted on 3/5/04 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Compliant Unions (to quote Frankie Howard)

I am a little confused about which unions are compliant and which are not.

Are these OK? Rescued attachment BrakeFlare.JPG
Rescued attachment BrakeFlare.JPG

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rusty nuts

posted on 3/5/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think the unions that need to comply are actually on the flexible hoses , the type with the stainless steel overbraid, hope this helps, Rusty
NS Dev

posted on 3/5/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that's a normal brake pipe end, it is fine!!!
craig1410

posted on 3/5/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,
I agree with Rustynuts as I asked the same question a little while ago when considering making my own flexy hoses. I ended up getting the Euroquip stuff from Rally Design as it appears to be compliant. The key thing is that it must have a central supporting pipe which goes inside the PTFE pipe within the braided hose. This central pipe supports the PTFE pipe when compressed by the olive as the union is screwed together.

To be honest I agree 100% with the SVA regs on this as I can hardly believe that anyone would try to compress a PTFE hose from one side only without a supporting inner pipe. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...

Anyway, the euroquip stuff is dead easy to work with and looks nice. Raldes have all the fittings you will need and they aren't that expensive. The hose is £3.50 per meter and the fittings are £2 odd each. If you do buy them then make sure you ask for locknuts for the bulkhead fittings as they are ordered separately.

My website has some pics of assembled euroquip bits in the latest diary page (April 2004)

Cheers,
Craig.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/5/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a premade set of Cortina Euroquips being delivered tomorrow (hopefully) from rally design.

I just had this nagging doubt that someone on here had said that there was a problem with female unions with double concave flares, I could not see why, just had to ask - Thanks

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

craig1410

posted on 4/5/04 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Snoopy,
I don't think there is much risk of the Euroquip fittings failing SVA as it specifically says in the SVA manual that they are allowed! This is "Locost" and every penny counts... It's quite satisfying too making up your own brake pipes and they are easily repaired or replaced at a later date.

Cheers,
Craig.

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/5/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
My Euroquips arrived today, nery nice too. I got a spare end to show the SVA inspector if he has any doubts

Northy

posted on 4/5/04 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/5/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone needs to prove that an Euroquip has an internal support pipe, here's a pickie Rescued attachment EuroquipUnion.jpg
Rescued attachment EuroquipUnion.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 4/5/04 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one Mark! was about to do the same but you beat me to it and your fitting is still nice and new and shiny!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.