Board logo

my local dvla
Stuart_B - 26/8/08 at 07:26 PM

hi all, i went up to my local dvla to put a private plate on my car, and then asked about the sva of teh kit car, chassis number and build up inspection. the bloke said do not make up your own number i need to have my build up inspection then they will issuse me a chassis number and then i can book my sva, as well i can not put my chassis number own a plate and weld it to the chassis it has to be own teh chassis it self. does tjis sound right?

by the way it is ipswich dvla.

thanks

stuart

flak monkey - 26/8/08 at 07:33 PM

Thats about right and is how is should work anyway, but each office has their own rules it seems.

Let them do a build up inspection. Get them to come to you if poss. Let them give you a VIN number and stamp it into the chassis (or weld a plate on) it shouldnt really matter which, you will need 2 plates though.

The book SVA and then all you need to do is let the DVLA have your MAC and you should get a reg number.

Stuart_B - 26/8/08 at 07:39 PM

ok, i tried them on come to me but they said no.

stuart

sva is getting close

flak monkey - 26/8/08 at 07:47 PM

Tell them you have no way of getting the car to them for inspection.

You cannot drive it there legally (i went through all this with my own inspection), and if you dont have a car trailer and towbar you have had it.

Danozeman - 26/8/08 at 08:26 PM

Ipswich will come out to you. They told me that not long ago. You can stamp the number on a plate and weld it on. Aslong as its permanatly fixed its ok.

BTW Ipswich DVLA are fecking useless!!

stuart_g - 26/8/08 at 08:48 PM

Ipswich DVLA are useless. I had a number of issues with them including a blazing row in a packed waiting area. They did not want to let me use the chassis number supplied by MNR although every MNR is registered with the one supplied by them. They wanted to issue me a form to take to a garage and have them stamp their chassis number into it, Not so fecking likely!
They didn't believe an R1 was 1000cc although I had written signed and stamped proof from Orwell motorcycles that the engine number came from such bike. The customer service manager rides bikes and admitted she knew that an R1 was 1000cc but they wanted written evidence from Yamaha, they wouldn't even believe Orwell motorcycles the franchised dealer. The customer services manager proceeded to tell me that every kit car that was registered after 1989 without one of DVLA's chassis numbers was incorrectly registered.
In the end I told them they were useless and went to Chelmsford who processed everything there and then and gave me an inspection date on the spot. Inspection was no problem and age related plate a week later.

If I were you I would avoid the Ipswich branch and deal with Chelmsford, they know what they are doing.

Stuart_B - 26/8/08 at 08:57 PM

Chelmsford is the nearest place apart from ipswich. so does the need to be complet to get a build inspection?

thanks

stuart

ReMan - 26/8/08 at 09:00 PM

Not the most constructive of post's but

USELESS ARSES spings to mind.

They're all making it up as they go along.

[Edited on 26/8/08 by ReMan] Rescued attachment arse-elbow.jpg
Rescued attachment arse-elbow.jpg

stuart_g - 26/8/08 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart_B
Chelmsford is the nearest place apart from ipswich. so does the need to be complet to get a build inspection?

thanks

stuart

I would think the car would need to be complete to get a build inspection, although some people have had DVLA inspection before SVA not sure how finished their cars were.

I SVA'd my car first, then when I had the MAC certificate I took it and the necesary paperwork to DVLA.

Norwich also has a DVLA office but I was told that they and Ipswich are run by the same team so you'll probably get the same treatment there.

I dare say that if you play by Ipswich office rules you will not have a problem. Try to use your own chassis number and they won't like it.

[Edited on 26/8/08 by stuart_g]

David Jenkins - 26/8/08 at 09:10 PM

The sad thing is, when I registered my car with Ipswich about 4 years ago they did everything with no fuss whatsoever. The bloke came out, checked the numbers and the type/colour of the car, leafed through the wad of receipts then chattered away for 20 minutes more.

They accepted my own VIN as well.

The only minor quibble was that they took 2 weeks to complete the registration (I think the bloke was saving up a batch to do all in one session).

It's all down to individuals, I'm afraid...

robinj66 - 26/8/08 at 09:29 PM

Best way is to phone Chelmsford and ask them. That way you know they will be happy and your process won't be held up unnecessarily.

FWIW - Maidstone DVLA are happy with your own VIN but won't carry out an inspection until after SVA and they won't come out to you. Also there are double yellow lines outside the office

stuart_g - 27/8/08 at 07:25 AM

The inspector at Chelmsford won't come out to look at your car in Ipswich as it is not his area. I had to take my car to them. They have an inspection area in the car park so no problems with places to park.

DarrenW - 27/8/08 at 08:45 AM

Before SVA i wrote to my local centre (sent a fax). I asked about the procedure and proposed a VIN. I got a call within 2 days and they answered every question, agreed to proposed VIN, told me to stamp chassis or stamp a plate and weld onto chassis (this is what i have done). They also arranged home inspection and brought out the forms to me and spent a while running through them telling me what to put in each question.

This was about 3.5 years ago though. Couldnt have been easier through Stockton. Coozer had similarly trouble free experience albeit the inspection was done after SVA.

MautoK - 7/9/08 at 08:15 PM

I thought you could use an aluminium plate and pop-rivet it to the chassis? Time to go and RTFM again!

Anybody got any comments/observations/experience about DVLA and SVA in Exeter? The paperwork starts next week!