Board logo

its that question again
macnab - 20/2/07 at 01:17 PM

I posted a question a while back regarding fitting a front aerofoil, yep that one...

I'm now thinking of leaving it on the car for the SVA test for the purposes of covering the suspension arms etc.

Am I right in thinking that all I need to do is as usual to make sure no edge has less than the 2.5mm radius?

Sorry for flogging a dead horse but I don't want to get caught out at the test. Just as well I noticed that post about welded steering arms as well. Anyone got any spares??

Hammerhead - 20/2/07 at 01:31 PM

i think nitram38 might be your man to answer this one.

macnab - 20/2/07 at 01:47 PM

Yeah hopefully he'll know though that's if he put his car through with the spoiler attached.

can't see a problem myself

DarrenW - 20/2/07 at 01:54 PM

Do you have a link / pic?

If spoiler is only to avoid rads / edges etc being tested at the front end, TBH i didnt have any problems with this part of the test so it must be easy to pass. I did hear that some testers comment on the rigidity of such spoilers and dont like them if they look a bit flimsy - nothing in the book about it so could be a grey area. If anyone was asking who was testing at Gosforth i would say dont bother.

James - 20/2/07 at 01:57 PM

Agree with Darren, it's pretty easy to pass the projections test at the front of the car.

There's enough people who've do it that it's pretty well proven what you've gotta do!

Cheers,
James

macnab - 20/2/07 at 02:01 PM

no pics of it on the 7 (same ones that are on my Bluebird at the moment) but I do intend on running the car with them on and if it actually helps the car pass the SVA by shielding the suspension from that cone thing then I'd rather go with it on.

[Edited on 20/2/07 by macnab]

Humbug - 20/2/07 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by macnab
I posted a question a while back regarding fitting a front aerofoil, yep that one...

I'm now thinking of leaving it on the car for the SVA test for the purposes of covering the suspension arms etc.

Am I right in thinking that all I need to do is as usual to make sure no edge has less than the 2.5mm radius?

Sorry for flogging a dead horse but I don't want to get caught out at the test. Just as well I noticed that post about welded steering arms as well. Anyone got any spares??

Oh, that question - I thought it was going to be the BEC vs CEC question

russbost - 20/2/07 at 02:13 PM

My car went thro' with both front & rear aerofoils on, providing your edges are correctly radiused & the mounting is secure there should be absolutely no problem. I did have to remove the front aerofoil to get the car off the ramp tho' cos otherwise it would have fot ripped off by the floor!

macnab - 20/2/07 at 02:22 PM

ahh just the man!

sounds good then, I'll go with it fitted.

thanks all

James - 20/2/07 at 02:44 PM

Why do actually want it though?

Do you think that your v6 won't be heavy enough to keep the front down?

Cheers,
James

macnab - 20/2/07 at 02:56 PM

na down force that's what I'm after.

the engines not really that heavy as its mostly hollow

DarrenW - 20/2/07 at 03:48 PM

Are you doing something like this? Rescued attachment EbayCaterham.jpg
Rescued attachment EbayCaterham.jpg

iank - 20/2/07 at 04:35 PM

What level are you planning to put it? To protect the suspension from the SVA tester you need it quite high, or like the picture DarrenW posted. A formula style plank won't stop them testing suspension.

DarrenW - 20/2/07 at 04:56 PM

I cant help thinking its more work to make a bumper from scratch that makes everything behind exempt than it is to just cover it all up. You have to be careful that the bumper bar is fully compliant as well.

On an F1 style car its fair enough as its also aesthetic but on a se7en - im not sure its worth the effort. It really is not an issue to make the front compliant.