Board logo

exhaust can edge cone shield
02GF74 - 6/9/06 at 01:42 PM

maybe this should be in fabrication section but here it is.

problem is that some exhaust cans, and sod's law isthat you willhave one of those are made by rolling a sheet of steel into a tube then welding on the round end pieces which are not flush resulting in an edge that SVA will fail.

The solution I came up with , and it almost worked! was to fit a truncated metal cone inside the end can that is held in place by a hose clip over the pipe.

The maths for the shape is out there - see fabrication - and then cut out of thin 1 mm ali sheet. (try out on a cardboard template first)
cone cut out
cone cut out

Little tabs are cut and folded so at one end they sit and grip the inside of the can and the hose clip goes over them at the other end. Then the metal bent into a cone by hand, the thinner the metal the easier it is.
cone bent into shape
cone bent into shape

And finally fitted onto the can. I put rubber strip over the can's edge that SVA man failed for not being durable (said it would burn off despite having travelled 30 miles to get to SVA, grrr....). SVA tester ran his finger of the edges and seem satisfied so with a bit more effort, I am sure this method can be made to work.
There was exhaust paste to smooth off the front edge of the hose clip and I think I will need to do the same at the can end. The business end of the clip is on the inside away from prying fingers.

As a bonus it helps aerodynamic, at least anotehr 5 mph!! and I think looks quite good too but for the messy paste

cone fitted over the can
cone fitted over the can

Winston Todge - 6/9/06 at 08:25 PM

That's great! I've literally just got my manifold back and I needed to solve the same problem...

I'll give it a go!

Chris.

NS Dev - 7/9/06 at 03:24 PM

who made that manifold?

Winston Todge - 8/9/06 at 08:43 AM

Longlife Exhausts, Berkeley.

Not upto your scratch Dev. But still pleased with it!

Chris.