Board logo

MAC 1 DASH RADIUS
kev R1 - 28/7/06 at 06:49 PM

Bit worried about this as i thought it would fly through with this dash! anyone no anything about a mentioned crash pad? any ideas on how yo improve it! i'vegot a week to do it!! help!!

nib1980 - 28/7/06 at 07:06 PM

not exactly but what about pipe lagging cable tied to the lower edge?

fesycresy - 28/7/06 at 07:37 PM

You need a curved pad, mac1 used to have one and sticky tape it on for the SVA.

Thats probably toast by now, but might be worth a call to Mark.

Howlor - 28/7/06 at 07:43 PM

Just acquire a length of door seal. I got mine from Wooleys. It just pushes onto the edge of the dash and the large round section protrudes far enough for the SVA man. Takes all of 30 secs to fit and remove!

Steve

asn163 - 28/7/06 at 09:06 PM

Kev, when you find out how to do it, let us know so that we can do the same when we take ours for the retest.

Thanks,

Simon

Agriv8 - 28/7/06 at 10:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
Just acquire a length of door seal. I got mine from Wooleys. It just pushes onto the edge of the dash and the large round section protrudes far enough for the SVA man. Takes all of 30 secs to fit and remove!

Steve

i was just about to post that

can be seen in action bellow actually transit side door seal £2.00 from local scrap yard
V8Gauges
V8Gauges

ps the sva man likes to think that this is a permenant fixture if you see what i mean

regards

agriv8

kev R1 - 29/7/06 at 12:52 PM

so it's the return edge that needs to be radiussed?

Howlor - 29/7/06 at 02:52 PM

No it's the leading edge but the trim also protects the return edge radius as well.

Steve

zxrlocost - 29/7/06 at 04:06 PM

go and get some thick rubber hose slice it down the middle and glue it onto the bottom of the dash

did you get my info on the r1 clocks Kev

kev R1 - 30/7/06 at 07:11 PM

Yes i did mate cheers. mine aren't behind the wheel though so i'll have to put something round them!!! what do ya reckon?

The Doc - 30/7/06 at 11:01 PM

This interests me as I have created my dash from 4 mm ali. Yes Yes its a bit heavy but so am I so its academic.

Anyway I'm aware that if you want a dash constructed of entirely 'hard' material a loony radius is required on the bottom edge. Is the application of something like the sltted hose an alternative ie: hard dash with 'rubbery edge'

Incidentally the thickness allows me to recess all the instrument bezels etc.
Ta

jos - 31/7/06 at 08:09 AM

The MAC#1 dash is only 15mm radius and if left uncovered will probably fail SVA

The pipe lagging is one solution although has been considered too temporary for some SVA centres.

The next solution was to cover the lagging in fablon & silicon to the dash which was also judged to be temporary and also caused another problem, more in a mo.

My final solution was add the pipe lagging to a piece of ribbled plastic and then cover the whole lot in fablon and secure to the dash using the dash mounting holes. As and added extra I covered the plastic sheet prior to fablon with girl guide bedding roll for a bit more squish - even though its not needed.

The problem I found with adding the pipe lagging to the bottom of the dash was that when I came to take it off, where I'd beaded the silicon on the front side of the dash Ive ended up with a scratched and faded strip which I now cover with black insulation tape until I get around to replacing the dash alltogether.

DarrenW - 31/7/06 at 02:04 PM

Im sure the Woodwards fitted a panel on the passenger side from the front face of dash right down to the floor. made the tester a bit uncomfortable when chacking belts etc but afaik perfectly 'legal' SVA wise. He couldnt test for a radius because there wasnt one visible to test.

I used the Mac#1 stick on panel. Rescued attachment SVA dash cover 1.JPG
Rescued attachment SVA dash cover 1.JPG

kev R1 - 31/7/06 at 04:36 PM

what did you use on the drivers side?

asn163 - 31/7/06 at 07:08 PM

Kev, I don't, think you need to worry about the driver's side as it will be in the exempt area.

Simon

DarrenW - 1/8/06 at 09:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kev R1
what did you use on the drivers side?

Steering wheel - if large enough it gives a good exempt area. Crazy i know but thems the rules. If wheel is too big or too high this can give a fail for visibility tho so a little care needed when planning.
I have a metal toggle switch on drivers side for indicators - it also passes cos its in the exempt area.

Jasper - 5/8/06 at 03:29 PM

Don't forget chaps - if you do have a crash (and I'm speeking from experience) then the bottom radius will stop you or your passenger from some potentailly nasty leg damage.

On my current build I'm making sure I have a decent soft permanent bottom radius AND covering in the complete area underneath the dash as well no nothing sharp is sticking down at all....

Some SVA stuff as we well know is a bit ridiculous, but this bit I don't think is at all.