Board logo

Seat belt mounting
greggors84 - 7/6/06 at 01:22 PM

The harness holes on my cobra seats are spaced further together than the harness mounting points are. When i mounted the seats i tried to make them as central as possible, but it seems the passenger seat is slightly off now as the left harness doesnt go through the harness hole straight.

The picture below (very badly) shows what i mean the harness hole pulls the belt to the right. Is this a problem for SVA?

In reality its probably a bit more than in the picture.

Description
Description

The picture is from above if the top of the headrest was chopped off exposing the harness hole.

[Edited on 7/6/2006 by greggors84]

tom_loughlin - 7/6/06 at 01:31 PM

I used some low-back Fibreglass seats for sva, borrowed for the test. Ask around, and im sure someone will ba able to lend you some, I just bolted them to the floor, so they were really simple for mark to inspect at SVA.
Using these seats, you also wouldnt need to worry about harness mounting height.
My cobras dont line up that well either, ive done by best, but they seem to have the same problem as yours.

Tom

richijenkin - 7/6/06 at 01:39 PM

My cobra's had the same problem, we changed the fixing point after noticing the seatbelt started to tear.
Remounted the fixings, straighter and higher up onto the rollbar.

nitram38 - 7/6/06 at 01:51 PM

Also if the belt is pulled hard against the seat, the seat can be treated as part of the seatbelt system. So either move them or borrow other seats as suggested.
Like most of these problems (me included) we want to hear good news, but the best thing to do is redo them to make them comply with the regs for your own peace of mind.

Marcus - 7/6/06 at 02:08 PM

That's the only reason I've stuck with low back seats (ok, that and I ain't got £300!)
I love the Cobras - very comfy, but can't bring myself to fit some due to the harness mounts.

pewe - 7/6/06 at 02:13 PM

If you move the mounting points you need to make sure they are higher than the seat holes. Just done mine and the consensus on here was that they shouldn't be lower as it would fail SVA - belts could become slack if belt holes deformed in an accident. Oh and don't do what some numpty at Detling had done i.e. pull the belt through the mount and tie a knot in it to secure!! Cheers, Pewe

mookaloid - 7/6/06 at 03:00 PM

I didn't use the holes for SVA, just routed the belts around the side of the seat - no probs.

Cheers

Mark