Board logo

An official answer from the DVLA regarding MOT and Q-plates
David Jenkins - 29/5/06 at 11:29 AM

Back in March I wrote a letter to the DVLA in Swansea, asking why I kept getting requests for an MOT certificate when I taxed my under-3-years-old car:

My letter (PDF file - Adobe Reader required)

Here is their 2-page reply:

Page 1 (JPG)
Page 2 (JPG)

To summarise - Q-plate cars DO NOT require an MOT when first registered after the SVA (with some exceptions). From then on, an MOT is required for subsequent tax renewals.

I have my own views - I'll let others make their own mind up.

David

smart51 - 29/5/06 at 11:52 AM

I have a letter from the DVLA which states that my Q plate car will need to have an MOT 3 years after the SVA date. I agree with this. A Q plate kit car is one that was not presented with a V5 from a donor car. This does not make it less roadworthy than a kit built from a single donor. Why would it?

omega 24 v6 - 29/5/06 at 11:54 AM

Well that sort of confirms everything i had to ask. An Mot every year on a car made up of parts from aged vehicles is prolly a bit much given that most MOT failures would be on brakes/ tyres/ corrosion/lighting. Everything else on my kit will be new i.e. fuel lines brake lines etc etc so what is there left to fail on?

nitram38 - 29/5/06 at 12:00 PM

I don't have the original v5 from my donor car so it looks more like a Q for me.
I did use the engine, gearbox, transmission, brakes (reconditioned, plus new discs and pads), steering colomn.
I do also have the original number plates to hand plus a scrap yard reciept for the car.
I was hoping for an age related plate.

ReMan - 29/5/06 at 01:52 PM

And to confuse another point further, this paragraph suggests you can keep the donors plate, not neccesarily submit to an age related one as voiced on here before? Rescued attachment keepreg.jpg
Rescued attachment keepreg.jpg

David Jenkins - 29/5/06 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I have a letter from the DVLA which states that my Q plate car will need to have an MOT 3 years after the SVA date. I agree with this. A Q plate kit car is one that was not presented with a V5 from a donor car. This does not make it less roadworthy than a kit built from a single donor. Why would it?

Any chance of a copy of that letter? I'm working up a reply...

Send a U2U if you can.

cheers,
David