Board logo

New SVA regs - cycle wing lights
DaveFJ - 11/5/06 at 09:03 AM

just seen this on the VOSA website:

SVA Information reference 9.1 / 11
IM 9.1 LIGHTING/SIGNALING – Lights on Cycle Wings - ISSUED 18/04/06
Procedure and Standards item 2, note 7b (as introduced on Information Bulletin 9.1.10) provides for a Side Repeater indicator mounted on a
“cycle wing” that moves with steering movement, to meet the requirements with the steering in the straight ahead position only.
In has been decided to extend this criteria to any obligatory lamp mounted on a cycle wing.
In P&S 2 please replace “Note 7b” with the following text:-
NOTE 7b: A lamp mounted on a “cycle wing”
that moves with steering movement, must only
be checked with the steering in the straight
ahead position and suspension “at rest.”

does this mean that you can now have indicctors on your cycle wings ? or just repeaters ?

how about headlights on cycle wings ?

what do you think?

Inf from here link y

[Edited on 11/5/06 by DaveFJ]

jos - 11/5/06 at 09:37 AM

i know of a number of cars that have had indicators mounted on cycle wings that have passed sva no problems.

and yes I would say that you could mount you headlights on your cycle wings too as long as they confirm to distance requirements and that they would only be examined in the straight ahead position

MikeR - 11/5/06 at 10:04 AM

I'm planning on mounting my indicators on my cycle wings - i think it looks cool

DarrenW - 11/5/06 at 10:17 AM

No it doesnt say you can put headlight on the cycle wings.

i fitted indicators on cycle wing but also fitted side repeater to be safe. I dont recall the tester even looking at the side repeaters. My main front indicators are visible from Mars anyway Rescued attachment P2150665 resized.JPG
Rescued attachment P2150665 resized.JPG

jos - 11/5/06 at 10:50 AM

It says that any obligatory lamp mounted on a cycle wing will be tested in the straight ahead position.

As long as the headlights conform to the dimensional requirements I dont see why you cant mount headlights to the cycle wings.

I personally wouldnt do it.

DaveFJ - 11/5/06 at 11:14 AM

I don't think I would want the headlights on the cycle wings either - I just wondered about the legality.... tempted to put my indicators on though