Board logo

Cycle wings & SVA
BKLOCO - 4/5/06 at 06:14 AM

I seem to remember someone on here failing an SVA because:
The cycle wings did not protrude forward of an imaginary line projected vertically up from the front of the wheel rim.
I can't find this anywhere in my SVA manual.
Anyone got any clues?

Hellfire - 4/5/06 at 07:01 AM

You may not find easily - it but it is (should be) there... and your description is bang on!

jambojeef - 4/5/06 at 07:02 AM

Dont know who it was but Ive had to move mine for that reason too.

Geoff

saigonij - 4/5/06 at 07:15 AM

thats what we had to do - says so in the Luego build manual.

russbost - 4/5/06 at 07:25 AM

It is in the manual, it's hard to find tho', I got the SVA tester to show me on test cos I was sure I'd read it then couldn't find it when it mattered.
The wings must cover the plan form of the wheels (nothing to do with the tyres), so take a spirit level & measure straight up from the extremes front,rear,inboard & outboard of the wheel rim & providing your wing covers this area - no problem

Donners90 - 4/5/06 at 07:38 AM

Section 13
Exterior projections
(top of Page 4 on this PDF!)

EDIT:- ooops doc didn't attach. See 2 posts below this one

[Edited on 4-5-2006 by Donners90]

wilkingj - 4/5/06 at 07:39 AM

Hmm... Mudguards for 15" wheels dont meet the SVA spec when 17" wheels are fitted.

My solution is the side out of a 5l plastic oil can.
It will probably "fall off" after the SVA, or I will get bigger guards if I can find any.
I set it to meet the forward edge of the rim, and then did the "Mud Flap" thing.

Left Front Rear
Left Front Rear

Donners90 - 4/5/06 at 07:40 AM

Section 13
Exterior projections
(top of Page 4 on this PDF!)

Humbug - 4/5/06 at 07:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Hmm... Mudguards for 15" wheels dont meet the SVA spec when 17" wheels are fitted.

My solution is the side out of a 5l plastic oil can.
It will probably "fall off" after the SVA, or I will get bigger guards if I can find any.
I set it to meet the forward edge of the rim, and then did the "Mud Flap" thing.

Left Front Rear
Left Front Rear

It looks to me like you would be OK with the tyres in the pic... the wing has to cover the front of the wheel (when seen from directly above), not the tyre. Maybe it's just an optical illusion from the angle the pic is taken from!

BKLOCO - 4/5/06 at 08:27 AM

That is complete bulls**t!
If thSVA inspectors are reading this in the way that is being suggested then it is bloody ridiculous.
That paragraph is clearly referring to wheels that project outside the body of a saloon car sideways.
The fact that the cycle wing doen't "cover" the wheel forward in planform does not constitute a greater or lesser danger.

This means I am going to have to re-position my cycle wings as they were set for smaller wheels than I have eventually used.

How the f*** do you remove PU adhesive?

DarrenW - 4/5/06 at 08:34 AM

I was very very close on failing at SVA for this. Put spirit level vertically at the front edge of the wheel (not tyre), arch has to be just in front of this line.

PU is a nightmare to get off if you have been overkill between bracket and cycle wing. Try some acetone to soften it up. Failing that you need to add an extra bit to the front as suggested above. If you fit mudguards to the back you may have some off cuts left to extend the front as a temp measure.

David Jenkins - 4/5/06 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO

I found that a sharp stanley knife blade and a lot of patience does the trick...

David

tks - 4/5/06 at 10:10 AM

i see in your picture yout brakeline solution

is it SVA compliant??

Tks

Hellfire - 4/5/06 at 11:35 AM

Can't you just borrow the smaller wheels for which the wings were positioned to cover. You only need em for SVA.

Phil

BKLOCO - 4/5/06 at 11:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Can't you just borrow the smaller wheels for which the wings were positioned to cover. You only need em for SVA.

Phil

Good idea but unfortunately they have bald tyres.

Hellfire - 4/5/06 at 11:51 AM

Bald tyres WILL pass SVA

Phil

Hellfire - 4/5/06 at 11:52 AM

Just change em over at the SVA centre. Seriously, they only check the speed rating of the tyre to ensure it complies.

andyharding - 4/5/06 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Bald tyres WILL pass SVA

Phil

True but if you drove to the test and you wee them off they could tip the bill off when you would be leaving...

David Jenkins - 4/5/06 at 12:18 PM

quote:
Bald tyres WILL pass SVA

Phil

Maybe... maybe not... but if they see them they're SURE to give you a hard time on any other issues.

I'd prefer to present the car in as good a condition as possible - clean, neat and legal.

David

tks - 4/5/06 at 12:23 PM

i think the same,

if you try to be smart and use that kind of loop holes.

You can be assured that the inspector takes it 100x more seriously and would ask you some chit documentation!

For the brakes? For the fluid? For the fuel hose? for the copper brake line?
For the brakecalipers?
brakepads??

etc. etc.

Tks

sorry to hijack but how is the SVA looking at the alloy wilwood 4pots??

britishtrident - 4/5/06 at 02:32 PM

The mudguard rule is based on that in the ancient "Construction and Use" regs.

Hellfire - 4/5/06 at 05:30 PM

Provided you don't drive to the vehicle to SVA with bald tyres, I don't see a problem. Just explain that you're waiting for new tyres to be delivered so you can fit them and unfortunately they didn't arrive yesterday, as you'd been promised. I'm sure most SVA inspectors would be sympathetic. Personally, I'd alter the cycle wings. Your choice but I'm just offering another option.

darrens - 4/5/06 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
That is complete bulls**t!
If thSVA inspectors are reading this in the way that is being suggested then it is bloody ridiculous.
That paragraph is clearly referring to wheels that project outside the body of a saloon car sideways.
The fact that the cycle wing doen't "cover" the wheel forward in planform does not constitute a greater or lesser danger.

This means I am going to have to re-position my cycle wings as they were set for smaller wheels than I have eventually used.

I agree completely with above, what's the point in failing a car on the fact the cycle wings doesn't pass the imaginary vertical line set by by the front outer wheel rim.

This is ludicrous, what is it actually proving when the wing does inch that little bit further forward, your average motorbike cycle wing doesn't cover this!!!!!

This is morelike examiners interpreting this incorrectly and then using their power to save face.

[Edited on 4/5/06 by darrens]

David Jenkins - 5/5/06 at 07:31 AM

Sorry - last picture was WAY too big!

These mudguards passed SVA, and they were looked at VERY closely by the tester. He didn't make any comment when he'd finished checking them out.

David Rescued attachment wheel-side.jpg
Rescued attachment wheel-side.jpg

DarrenW - 5/5/06 at 10:20 AM

Mine are very similar David - inspector had very close look and commented he would have failed them if it wasnt for the trim!!

greggors84 - 5/5/06 at 12:35 PM

Cheers for that David, i was worried mine were going to fail on the rear edge, i was sure i had read somewhere that the back of the wing had to go below the horizontal centre line of the wheel. Mine are pretty close, with the back at least you can attach mudflaps. But looks like i should be ok.