Board logo

fog lamp angle
02GF74 - 4/12/05 at 08:10 PM

someone mentioned that the surface of the fog and reverse lamps needs to be perpendicular to the ground. (I've not found this mentioned in SVA but will keep looking).

The lamps I have fitted are the rectangular boxes that are on 110 landrovers -as sold by VWP.

I can either fir a wedge behind them or more cunningly, cut the front face at an angle - there will be problems as the reflector part my be too deep plus the screw holder will be gone; I've mocked up what I;m on about below.

just wonderiing if anyone has done this?

fog lamp
fog lamp

Humbug - 4/12/05 at 10:15 PM

...also, because of the angle, the rear face of the plinth will be longoer (top to bottom) than the lens part

k33ts - 4/12/05 at 10:36 PM

dont think it matters just bang um on

flak monkey - 4/12/05 at 10:38 PM

The fog lamp lens MUST be vertical to get through the SVA. Its in the lighting section of the SVA manual. Cant remember the exact chapter and paragraph of the top of my head though!

Several people have failed on this point.

David

Dusty - 4/12/05 at 10:45 PM

Cut the back black plastic, sort of opposite of what you plan to do with the lens. Probably easier. Mount on a sheet of neoprene to waterproof.

steve_gus - 4/12/05 at 10:59 PM

my sva manual is from 2001 and it very specifically states the fog lamp MUST be perp to the ground. Its the only light thats specified as such

atb

steve

Peteff - 5/12/05 at 10:43 AM

It's the foglamp reflector that must be vertical isn't it?

[Edited on 5/12/05 by Peteff]

oliwb - 5/12/05 at 11:17 AM

Deffinately need to be vetical. Tiger supply funny crapply moulded bits of GRP wedges to use however I'm mounting mine on some steel bar so that I can adjust it at SVA if it's not 100% perfect. I'm also fitting two r.fog lamps as to keep mine near the centre and retain 25 degree visibility is nearly impossible with a spare wheel in place! I would go with the wedge idea myself, or a metal bracket of some sort (make sure its higher than 250mm though! Oli.

02GF74 - 5/12/05 at 09:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
...also, because of the angle, the rear face of the plinth will be longoer (top to bottom) than the lens part

yep - I realise that but removing the back will weaken it. I'll look into it further butmy gut feeling is that the reflector is almost butting up against the back so it may not be possible to achieve.

DarrenW - 6/12/05 at 02:29 PM

Very simple to fix, just make an ali bracket behind the light units so that they end up vertical.