Board logo

SVA Ready??
JAG - 22/2/05 at 12:32 PM

Here she is - just finished and SVA test on Friday.

finished prior to SVA
finished prior to SVA

WISH US LUCK

PS more pictures in my archive area.

[Edited on 22/2/05 by JAG]

Hellfire - 22/2/05 at 12:41 PM

Looks well... good luck with the SVA.

Just as an observation, your car may fail on the length from outside edge of vehicle to indicator lens, has to be sub 400mm. Unless you are modifying later... you will need to correct this. Also the radiator grille looks a dodgy area too - sharp edges. Did I mention the top of the cycle stays too... (where they enter the arch) are those covered or radiused? Another potential failure point...

Just a few pointers I picked up on... wouldn't want you wasting your money uneccessarily. No offence!

[Edited on 22-2-05 by Hellfire]

Humbug - 22/2/05 at 01:06 PM

So... illegally parked on the public roadway, then?! No registration or tax and not on the way to an SVA or MOT test. Tut, tut!

Actually - good luck with the test.

Also, I would be interested to hear any ST-specific issues or tips that you have come across in your build & SVA, as I recently took on a Stuart Taylor rolling chassis - particularly regarding using a "non-standard" engine. I am putting in a K-series.

Cheers and good luck.

Fifer - 22/2/05 at 01:27 PM

Hopefully constructive comment here but are your seat belt mounts high enough ?
I am only going by my seats and I could not have mounted them where yours are even though my seats are very low at the bum part relative to floor.
Just a thought which i'm sure you have done plenty of recently.

Good luck

NS Dev - 22/2/05 at 01:27 PM

K series should slip into an ST chassis a treat, I am using an ST chassis with Vauxhall XE engine, quite a bit bigger!!

alister667 - 22/2/05 at 01:52 PM

Best of luck. She looks grand.

All the best

Ali

mangogrooveworkshop - 22/2/05 at 02:13 PM

Front cycle wings look to far back take vertical line from rim at front and go from that Keep standard steering wheel.

JAG - 22/2/05 at 02:26 PM

Outer edge of tyre to edge of indicators is approx' 350mm - it is close I agree

Rad' grill - I guess we'll soon find out

Seat belt mountings are std Stuart Taylor and the seats are as they recommend - so I hope that's OK, I'll be round to see him if not

Front of the cycle guard is just ahead (15mm or so) of the rim - Thanks for the warning.

Thanks for the positive/constructive comments - best bit so far was my first drive yesterday, I went to get the tracking set properly

Fifer - 22/2/05 at 02:46 PM

As said above, good luck.
I failed on several things when I went (as do about 90% of people) and was really p**sed off.
However, after sorting the faults out and getting retested a week or so later, it made it all the better as I felt I had really acheived something and complied with the system !!
it's easy for all of us to point things out that may fail you but best bet is to go to the test with an open mind and just let the guy do his bit.
I can assure you though, when you do pass, you will not be able to stop smiling for weeks and can drive your car with the knowledge that you built it and met a very stringent test in the SVA

All the best

Hellfire - 22/2/05 at 03:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fifer
I can assure you though, when you do pass, you will not be able to stop smiling for weeks and can drive your car with the knowledge that you built it and met a very stringent test in the SVA

All the best

Here, here - worth every sodding minute of the build... be careful, you don't wanna go through it again though eh like us!

paulf - 22/2/05 at 04:11 PM

Remember that in the case of a book car the widest part is the back wings , not the front.I had to extend my indicators by 20mm to comply, but the spacers seem to have fallen off now.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Outer edge of tyre to edge of indicators is approx' 350mm - it is close I agree

Dick Axtell - 22/2/05 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Remember that in the case of a book car the widest part is the back wings...

Was this point discovered thru your personal SVA experience? Might be a very useful piece of info, if that's the "official" interpretation.

David Jenkins - 22/2/05 at 07:54 PM

It's exactly what they did with me - the tester carefully lined me up on a floor line, then put a square up against each part and measured the distance from the centreline. He put a lot of effort into getting the measurements right, probably because my front indicators were marginal - about 375mm in from the widest edge (the rear mudguard).
He also put a lot of effort into checking the coverage of my front m/cycle mudguards.

David

givemethebighammer - 22/2/05 at 08:26 PM

Looking good, hope you get a friendly inspector who is actually interested in what you have built.

good luck !!!!

Marcus - 22/2/05 at 09:32 PM

Looking good, one observation - you have no cover for your boot area. Apparently, the inside is classed as outside, and all the radius points become relevant!
OK another one, the exhaust cover doesn't appear to be radiused at the rear edge - mine failed on this one.
Also, check your transmission tunnel remote cover rear edge looks a bit sharp.
Good luck on Friday!

Marcus

flak monkey - 22/2/05 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Looking good, one observation - you have no cover for your boot area. Apparently, the inside is classed as outside, and all the radius points become relevant!

Surely not! I dont know...but it seems a bit silly if so

David

Marcus - 22/2/05 at 10:00 PM

Silly, yes, but true. The tester I had was being assessed by his boss, so he went over my car with a fine toothcomb, the bits he missed, boss man picked up on and vice versa! He seemed surprised when we took the car back and it passed!

Marcus

JAG - 23/2/05 at 08:47 AM

The 'boot' area is still open, I have a boot floor fitted.

I was hoping this would mean I didn't need a cover - what does the panel think?

Will the SVA guy really check all the radii in this area?

Probably some that won't meet the requirement.

David Jenkins - 23/2/05 at 08:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JAG

He can if he wants to - but if he's like my tester he'll just run his hand over things and decide whether it's worth getting the gauges out! In my case, he didn't bother to get them out once during the test...

David

paulf - 23/2/05 at 10:19 AM

I came to that conclusion reading the various SVA notes on the web, as i didnt buy the manual.As it turned out i was correct, the sva man measured the width of the rear of the car with a tape and then deducted the indicator outside width to get the spacing from outside of the car.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Remember that in the case of a book car the widest part is the back wings...

Was this point discovered thru your personal SVA experience? Might be a very useful piece of info, if that's the "official" interpretation.

paulf - 23/2/05 at 10:22 AM

I had a cloth cover made, but am sure i could have got away with sticking some vinyl over the boot area in a more temporary fashion.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by JAG
The 'boot' area is still open, I have a boot floor fitted.

I was hoping this would mean I didn't need a cover - what does the panel think?

Probably some that won't meet the requirement.

JAG - 28/2/05 at 10:57 AM

SVA - Failed but nothing too serious.

Main problem was the upper seat belt mounting points are too low - by about 80mm. The inspector tells me this is an issue with the Stuart Taylor chassis unless you fit fibreglass seats bolted direct to the floor of the car.

Other problems;

sharp, contactable edges on frt suspension/ windscreen edge (where the wing mirrors attach)/ silencer and mounting bolt/ headlight mounting brkt/ fuel filler neck.

Fog light switch protrudes from the dash >9.5mm and does not detach/collapse under load.

Open boot area was NOT inspected.

Couple of cable ties required on leads from battery to starter motor.

Cover required on positive terminal of battery (because of Ali' bonnet)

O/S brake hose rubbing on O/S tyre at full right hand lock.

Done most things, just the upper seat belt mtg points and a heat shield for the exhaust left to do. The heat shield is to protect the sharp edges on the silencer body - no need to protect against the heat

givemethebighammer - 28/2/05 at 11:43 AM

bad luck, however nothing too major. On the seat belt front I had to attach my seat belts to a cross member welded to the roll bar to ensure the height of the mountings was OK for the SVA.

Tidy it all up and get out on the road !

when's the retest ?

[Edited on 28/2/05 by givemethebighammer]

DarrenW - 28/2/05 at 11:49 AM

JAG,

I would consider that a success par excellence. Well done. Those points dont seem bad at all which means youve built one hell of a car there. You must / should be pleased with yourself.

We all want to pass first time but since no-one rarely does then success can be determined on the number of points raised. It is however not a competition (unless i pass first time...LOL)

Word of warning - when changing things dont introduce another fail point.

At Gosforth (near Newcastle) the guy there has only ever passed one kit car first time - believe it or not a Robin Hood. He did say however that his mate put one through and failed only 2 weeks before and this guy went through his car with a fine toothcomb as an amateur pre-SVA test first.

Fifer - 28/2/05 at 11:52 AM

Hard luck mate, thought the belt height would be an issue.
easy way is to weld a bar between the roll bar uprights at the correct height then fit mounts to that, this is what I did and passed no probs.
Wont be long now !!!!
Good luck.