Board logo

Seat mounting?
Nickp - 20/10/11 at 07:11 PM

Hi guys,
What's the score for seat mounting to pass the IVA? Am I right in thinking you can't just bolt them through an ally floor? While I'm on with the chassis prep (welding in engine mounts etc) I was thinking of welding in a couples of 3mm thick steel strips between the chassis rails to bolt the seats through. Would this be acceptable?
Cheers,
Nick

pewe - 20/10/11 at 07:26 PM

Can't comment on IVA acceptable but mine were OK done like that for SVA.
However I think you'd be better off using 4 or 5mm strip as there's potentially a lot of flex across the span of the cockpit.
I bolted adjustable runners from Merlin Motorsport onto the strip to allow front to back seat adjustment.
Others on here have used Metro ones but I suspect they are becoming rarer than a rare thing.
HTH. Cheers, Pewe

-matt - 20/10/11 at 07:47 PM

I believe they like to see some load spreading plates underneath, so your bolting to that instead off the floor.

Ive just used a 2"x2" steel plate to use as a big washer.

although, my seats are also bolted through some strips that mk built into the chassis.

But i don't think you need to worry about the seat mounts too much, as the harness takes most of the stress, rather than the seats.

40inches - 21/10/11 at 07:54 AM

From IVA manual:
Every seat must be securely attached to the vehicle structure, or other obvious suitable load bearing parts of the vehicle
Every seat mounting must be of adequate strength to support the loads likely to be imposed

I don't think that an ally floor would be deemed as load bearing, so some sort of lateral strengthening should be fitted.
I welded in 1" square box section.
Brake line
Brake line

pewe - 21/10/11 at 06:17 PM

Wot 40inches says ^^ but just be careful that using box section doesn't push finished seat height too far up so your legs foul the steering wheel and/or your head is above the roll-bar (if you are or intend fitting one).
Cheers, Pewe

Nickp - 21/10/11 at 06:47 PM

Thanks guys, I think I'll go for the 2 steel straps between the chassis rails to keep the profile low. Just need to get some runners for the dimensions.

40inches - 21/10/11 at 07:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Wot 40inches says ^^ but just be careful that using box section doesn't push finished seat height too far up so your legs foul the steering wheel and/or your head is above the roll-bar (if you are or intend fitting one).
Cheers, Pewe

I have fibreglass shells and had to raise them 45mm to see over the scuttle

Nickp - 21/10/11 at 07:21 PM

I suppose it's easier to raise them than lower if you weld in box section

40inches - 22/10/11 at 08:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
I suppose it's easier to raise them than lower if you weld in box section

Smart arras