Board logo

IVA Rip Off!
Daddylonglegs - 18/4/11 at 01:03 PM

Just been looking at how I'm going to sort the fuel filler and hose for the Locost, and looking on Europa Spares, they have a filler cap and housing. There are 2 types, one 'standard' and one 'IVA compliant'. The IVA one is £10 more than the standard!

I can't see any difference at all, and there seems to be nothing in the description to explain either. I think some companies are making a quick buck out of the need to be IVA compliant

mrwibble - 18/4/11 at 01:09 PM

why dont you ring them up and ask them the difference?

Bluemoon - 18/4/11 at 01:15 PM

Probably a leaded/unleaded restriction plate (read big washer).

Mr Whippy - 18/4/11 at 01:22 PM

^ that'll be it

Daddylonglegs - 18/4/11 at 01:25 PM

OK, just rang them up, and apparently.....

....The SVA required the restictor (as you guys suggested) but for the IVA, they do not specify a difference because there are next to no fuel stations left that do leaded so it's not an issue anymore??

Basically, they told me there is no difference between the 2 items.

Which takes me back to my first moan about IVA rip-off!!

If I hadn't asked, I would have assumed I needed the IVA compliant one when I would have got exactly the same product but payed £10 more !!!

adithorp - 18/4/11 at 01:27 PM

Does it have the cap tethered?

Daddylonglegs - 18/4/11 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Does it have the cap tethered?

Nope, it looks like one where the key stays in the lock until the cap is on and locked.

Mr Whippy - 18/4/11 at 01:35 PM

can mind the last time I saw leaded or lead replacement fuel. Don't think the excess valve wear they all harped on about even happened, certainly I noticed zero difference in my old cars

Daddylonglegs - 18/4/11 at 02:08 PM

I agree. I was talking to one of our local Kit Car club last week, and he has been running a 'leaded' Pinto on unleaded for the past umpteen years, and has not had any issues whatsoever. Let's face it, the amount of miles the average kit car does it's going to take a hell of a lot of years before any valve wear would be eveident.

Anyhow, I've decided to use the filler cap I already have complete with metal extension (it's the type where key stays in until locked) and an adaptor from 57-51mm to connect it up to the tank and use flexible fuel filler hose.

The filler was going to have to be on the top of the back cover, but I think the flexible hose should allow me to put it on the back panel instead.

40inches - 18/4/11 at 02:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
I agree. I was talking to one of our local Kit Car club last week, and he has been running a 'leaded' Pinto on unleaded for the past umpteen years, and has not had any issues whatsoever. Let's face it, the amount of miles the average kit car does it's going to take a hell of a lot of years before any valve wear would be eveident.

Anyhow, I've decided to use the filler cap I already have complete with metal extension (it's the type where key stays in until locked) and an adaptor from 57-51mm to connect it up to the tank and use flexible fuel filler hose.

The filler was going to have to be on the top of the back cover, but I think the flexible hose should allow me to put it on the back panel instead.

I have gone for the top cover option, after having a kit with the filler on the back panel that was a pain in the arras to fill

Ben_Copeland - 18/4/11 at 03:07 PM

I had my filler in the back panel and it was next to impossible to fill up at the petrol station.

blakep82 - 18/4/11 at 03:40 PM

quote:
OK, just rang them up, and apparently.....

....The SVA required the restictor (as you guys suggested) but for the IVA, they do not specify a difference because there are next to no fuel stations left that do leaded so it's not an issue anymore??

interesting. thought you still had to have the restrictor, but yep, no mention in the manual! saves me another job. i've got a restirctor, but not got it welded in, now looks like i don't have to

jossey - 18/4/11 at 04:18 PM

This message is IVA approved so you will need to pay an extra £5 before you can read it.

:O)

stevegough - 18/4/11 at 04:29 PM

I can also confirm that restrictor is not reqd for IVA - just one of the GREAT savings to be made now the IVA is in force

Th is is the one I bought and fitted, and, as others have said, it is a bit of a pain to fill with it on the back panel - if you get the angle of the nozzle right, and keep it moderately slow, its not too bad.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Daddylonglegs - 18/4/11 at 08:36 PM

Hmm, thanks for the input guys

Not sure what to do now, I like the idea of the rear panel fitting, but if it's going to be a PITA then I might go for the top mounting instead.

I will also be fitting a rack later, but I think if I place the filler cap correctly I should be able to still fill up without having to faf with the rack.

stevegough - 18/4/11 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Hmm, thanks for the input guys

Not sure what to do now, I like the idea of the rear panel fitting, but if it's going to be a PITA then I might go for the top mounting instead.

I will also be fitting a rack later, but I think if I place the filler cap correctly I should be able to still fill up without having to faf with the rack.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, leggy. It is a bit of a PITA to fill, but I can still fill my tank (& empty my wallet ) in about a minute !!

[Edited on 18/4/11 by stevegough]

Daddylonglegs - 18/4/11 at 08:49 PM

lol! Leggy, good one

I think I'll make a decision on the spur of the moment over a beer or 2, that way if it's a problem I can always blame it on the booze

blakep82 - 18/4/11 at 08:53 PM

i'm trying to work out how to incoporate a hydraulically adjustable wing flap for the back end, and once the flap is fully open, it then pushes up the rear cover, essentially a hydraulic fuel filler flap, and so therefor hydralically locking too
the fuel tank has a screw on cap on it, so not fillers on any panels for me!

stevegough - 18/4/11 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i'm trying to work out how to incoporate a hydraulically adjustable wing flap for the back end, and once the flap is fully open, it then pushes up the rear cover, essentially a hydraulic fuel filler flap, and so therefor hydralically locking too
the fuel tank has a screw on cap on it, so not fillers on any panels for me!

While you're at it, Blake - try and get an automatic - filling tank, too