Board logo

Compliant Unions (to quote Frankie Howard)
Mark Allanson - 3/5/04 at 07:22 PM

I am a little confused about which unions are compliant and which are not.

Are these OK? Rescued attachment BrakeFlare.JPG
Rescued attachment BrakeFlare.JPG

rusty nuts - 3/5/04 at 07:35 PM

I think the unions that need to comply are actually on the flexible hoses , the type with the stainless steel overbraid, hope this helps, Rusty

NS Dev - 3/5/04 at 08:10 PM

Yes, that's a normal brake pipe end, it is fine!!!

craig1410 - 3/5/04 at 08:11 PM

Mark,
I agree with Rustynuts as I asked the same question a little while ago when considering making my own flexy hoses. I ended up getting the Euroquip stuff from Rally Design as it appears to be compliant. The key thing is that it must have a central supporting pipe which goes inside the PTFE pipe within the braided hose. This central pipe supports the PTFE pipe when compressed by the olive as the union is screwed together.

To be honest I agree 100% with the SVA regs on this as I can hardly believe that anyone would try to compress a PTFE hose from one side only without a supporting inner pipe. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me...

Anyway, the euroquip stuff is dead easy to work with and looks nice. Raldes have all the fittings you will need and they aren't that expensive. The hose is £3.50 per meter and the fittings are £2 odd each. If you do buy them then make sure you ask for locknuts for the bulkhead fittings as they are ordered separately.

My website has some pics of assembled euroquip bits in the latest diary page (April 2004)

Cheers,
Craig.

Mark Allanson - 3/5/04 at 08:16 PM

I have a premade set of Cortina Euroquips being delivered tomorrow (hopefully) from rally design.

I just had this nagging doubt that someone on here had said that there was a problem with female unions with double concave flares, I could not see why, just had to ask - Thanks

craig1410 - 4/5/04 at 08:28 AM

Snoopy,
I don't think there is much risk of the Euroquip fittings failing SVA as it specifically says in the SVA manual that they are allowed! This is "Locost" and every penny counts... It's quite satisfying too making up your own brake pipes and they are easily repaired or replaced at a later date.

Cheers,
Craig.

Mark Allanson - 4/5/04 at 04:33 PM

My Euroquips arrived today, nery nice too. I got a spare end to show the SVA inspector if he has any doubts

Northy - 4/5/04 at 05:43 PM

Mark Allanson - 4/5/04 at 06:59 PM

If anyone needs to prove that an Euroquip has an internal support pipe, here's a pickie Rescued attachment EuroquipUnion.jpg
Rescued attachment EuroquipUnion.jpg

NS Dev - 4/5/04 at 09:48 PM

Nice one Mark! was about to do the same but you beat me to it and your fitting is still nice and new and shiny!!