Board logo

silencer edges
markyb - 5/3/09 at 12:31 PM

my silencer will fail SVA (in 4 days time) as it does not have the correct radius at the ends - Would putting exhaust wrap on the ends keep Mr SVA happy or would he be looking for something more permanent

also the silencer is not well sealed and blows out a bit at the end seals - is there some sort of temporary silicon I could use on the outside to seal it til after SVA

thanks

Flamez - 5/3/09 at 12:34 PM

You could try exhaust putty or exhaust gum

Paul TigerB6 - 5/3/09 at 12:36 PM

Its probably worth making a cover to fit over the silencer rather than trying to wrap the ends. Hopefully this will cover any sharp edges on your mounting bracket too.

Try some standard clear silicone on the can anyway. It will harden and fall off eventually but should get you through the test if you are after a quick fix.

Daddylonglegs - 5/3/09 at 12:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
You could try exhaust putty or exhaust gum

I would say the same. I've used the putty on my bike can around the input pipe after a can rebuild, and it's lasted for months.

Just wet the digit and smooth over for a nicer looking finish

tegwin - 5/3/09 at 12:45 PM

Do you have any pics of the ends of your can?

I might have some nice ali sections that will clip over the end to give you a nice rad...

Mr Whippy - 5/3/09 at 12:56 PM

? Rescued attachment exhaust.JPG
Rescued attachment exhaust.JPG

markyb - 5/3/09 at 01:00 PM

my bad - I never explained the problem clearly enough

the leak is not at the join between silencer and exhaust but in the silencer itself

if you look at the pic

here it is the outer seal at the end of the can itself (the part missing from the silencer)

hope I have explained it better

Tegwin - thanks for the offer - my silencer has no edge at at all so there is nothing to clip onto

mad-butcher - 5/3/09 at 01:16 PM

that's not a silencer it's a tube with a bit of padding round it in another tube. fraid it'll never pass like that, fill the outer tube with padding then weld a plate on the end

tony

twybrow - 5/3/09 at 01:48 PM

Tegwin - I have the same problem on mine. I have fitted some plastic U-trim, but I hear that Brum test station will reject this. I tried cutting and bending a piece of ali tub, but it wouldn't bend around the can without kinking. How did you achieve it? I have a small lip, that projects ~5mm on the back side of the can, where the steel is folded onto itself. Any suggestions?

[img][/img]

Chippy - 5/3/09 at 02:01 PM

The easiest way to get over the problem is to build a cage round the silencer. Just weld up some 6mm steel rod that goes well foreword, and back to cover the offending edges, if Mr SVA's round ball cant touch the edges then the jobs a good un! Plus it may "accidently" fall of after SVA, (mine did). Cheers Ray

mad-butcher - 5/3/09 at 02:02 PM

I personaly would make up a simple cone, you need 3 dimensions dia of main body dia of small tube and length between end of main body and end of inner tube... If i need to make one I just give an old sheet metal worker mate those 3 and he draws me up an opened up template to cut and weld.. sure there must be some-one on here that could do the neccessary projections.

tony

40inches - 7/3/09 at 10:56 AM

I cut a piece of 10mm dia copper tube to length, then cut a slot along the length with a nibbler, tap it on with a wood block with join at back. Or get one of these http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=25&P_ID=258&strPageHistory=&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID =77 I got one off FleaBay for £15.