Board logo

Failed my SVA today....
peterparsons - 18/12/08 at 05:02 PM

Nothing major....
A couple of cables which needs wrapping and fixing under the bonnet.
A couple of nuts on the steering need changing to loc nuts - doh! forgot to change these when I ran out of loc nuts.
A couple of sharp edges on the front which I had overlooked - doh again !
The steering wheel boss failed as it was a non collapse one - didn't know about that one, the steering column passed ok.

Where's the best locost place to get a collapsable steering boss from ?

So not to bad after all....

iiyama - 18/12/08 at 05:16 PM

Pete, wanna borrow mine?

Dick Axtell - 18/12/08 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by peterparsons
The steering wheel boss failed as it was a non collapse one - didn't know about that one, the steering column passed ok.

Seems to fairly minor, fixable points. However, one thought troubles me - what type of steering column did you use?

If it was ex-Sierra, aren't they collapsible, just below the steering wheel? So, why would you need collapsible boss? Might be misinterpreting your report summary, but it would be very useful to clarify this crucial point.

LoL

Dangle_kt - 18/12/08 at 05:31 PM

not such a disaster.

JeffHs - 18/12/08 at 05:34 PM

I too failed on steering wheel, despite using a Sierra column. Their argument was that a Mountney wheel was not compliant without the collapsibel boss - would have been ok if I'd put it in with the sierra wheel on but I binned it long ago. I got a boss from Europa (decidedly not locost) and passed ok

Jeff

speedyxjs - 18/12/08 at 05:35 PM

Thats not too bad. Whens the retest?

ps i also didnt know you needed a colapsable boss.

peterparsons - 18/12/08 at 05:37 PM

Yea a Sierra collapsable column is fitted but the steering wheel and boss is not....The column passed fine, no issues

zetec - 18/12/08 at 06:30 PM

Re the steering wheel, do you mean they asked for the steering wheel to be fitted with the Mountney foam pad? Thats all mine had fitted with and I used a Sierra steering shaft. If so there are a few floating about which have been loaned out in the past.

peterparsons - 18/12/08 at 07:03 PM

Just to clarify -
The column is collapsable
The steering wheel is padded, inc, the centre section.
The boss which mounts the steering wheel to the column was not - its this bit he failed it on.

pewe - 18/12/08 at 07:49 PM

Classed as a good fail.
If the column's collapsible which mine was it shouldn't be a problem.
I made up a steering wheel pad from about a dozen layers of exercise mat onto an ali plate which curved around the spokes and covered it in leather-cloth. No adverse reaction at Soton to that.
Cheers, Pewe

Paul (Notts) - 18/12/08 at 08:14 PM

colapsable boss...

fits sierra column to momo raid dino and many other types of wheel but dont think it fits Mountney

not 100% perfectly square ...

free to good home...( first dibs peterparsons if its any good to you )

cant post until next Tuesday.

Paul Rescued attachment majorca 013.jpg
Rescued attachment majorca 013.jpg

Paul (Notts) - 18/12/08 at 08:15 PM

top not 100% square with coloumn Rescued attachment majorca 014.jpg
Rescued attachment majorca 014.jpg

jambojeef - 18/12/08 at 08:47 PM

Well done Peter!

Wish one of my fails was as good as that!

(And thanks again for your help with the Landy - all sorted now, cheers!)

Geoff

adithorp - 18/12/08 at 10:11 PM

Can't you just put the Sierra wheel on. They're deformable so should pass as is (complete column from type approved vehicle).

Good fail though.

adrian

peterparsons - 19/12/08 at 07:55 AM

Yes please Paul. U2U sent

Dick Axtell - 19/12/08 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Can't you just put the Sierra wheel on. They're deformable so should pass as is (complete column from type approved vehicle).

That's my intended option, although space under steering wheel rim might be .....er, tight.

However, if anybody knows this could yet be a problem, please feel free to comment.