Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front wishbone holes in body panels?
andrews_45

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Front wishbone holes in body panels?

Not sure what to do about the holes in the body panels for the wishbones...

Just wondered what other racers have done on their cars? I dont know whats best to do: Like the book with access holes, or do I just leave it open around the front wishbone area, by making the panels shorter?

Advice please, taking into account that I am building the car for the 750mc locost race series...

Ta

[Edited on 17/9/06 by andrews_45]

James

posted on 18/9/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Bear in mind I built mine for the road...

but as no one else has answered you....

I would end the panel short of the wishbones (assuming it's allowed in the 750MC rules). The reasons I would do this are: 1) getting hot air away from the radiator- you get quite an air damn effect so it will cool better. 2) doing this area is a pain and difficult to get right/looking good. This is ok in a road car when you are (hopefully) only going to do it once. Whereas when I watched a Locost race a lot of the cars had the crap kicked out of them and were getting a lot of damage. Se you want it as easy (and cheap!) as possible to change panels.

Hope that helps,
james

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

pumpers

posted on 18/9/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
James is right Andrew. if youe making your own panels then just stop them short of the wishbone mounts, making sure you have enough access to get at the suspension bolts.

craig

andrews_45

posted on 18/9/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one chaps
simes43

posted on 18/9/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Its far easier getting air in than out. Leaving the gap creates a significant amount of pressure within the engine bay.

The first mod for my winter rebuild will be adding detachable panels around the front suspension to stop air entering via the sides.

procomp

posted on 18/9/06 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi panneling the side fronts to stop air entering is a rain drop in the ocean with the floor open.

Maybe rob palin will be along to answer this question soon.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rob Palin

posted on 18/9/06 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I tried to reply to this earlier but for some unknown reason my PC at work won't let me post on here.

The set-up i have at the front is to leave the wishbone area open but fit two vertical plates down from the 'V' shaped bit of the front of the chassis to form a kind of boat's hull shape. This directs the air from behind the radiator out through the suspension holes.

I do leave a small (2 inch) gap in the middle to allow some air through for direct cooling of the engine block & alternator.

This design was cleared with the 750MC before the start of this season and i haven't heard anything that would suggest it won't still be legal in '07.

andrews_45

posted on 18/9/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance of a pic please Rob?
Rob Palin

posted on 19/9/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'll try and get some pics, though it may be a couple of days before i can get the chance.
Rob Palin

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Here's one. Rescued attachment Nose_ducts1.JPG
Rescued attachment Nose_ducts1.JPG

Rob Palin

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
...and another. Rescued attachment Nose_ducts2.JPG
Rescued attachment Nose_ducts2.JPG

andrews_45

posted on 21/9/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
ta matey

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.