Board logo

Drum brake setup
stephen_hillier - 19/12/07 at 09:14 PM

Hi, I am just completing the rear brake (drum) installation on my velocity and would like a couple of things confirming if possible...

How should the handbrake cable exit the drum? Currently its a quite an acute angle and will rub on the bakeplate. Is this right? I am just a bit worried about wear on the cable (and the SVA man!).

The other concern is the flexible brake hose. The ones that were supplied have the banjo bolt type connection to the drum but there isn't enough room so I have fitted it the opposite way round and the banjo bolt is now screwed into the copper pipe end and the normal bolt end into the drum. Are there any problems having this pipe this way round?

Thanks!

[Edited on 19/12/07 by stephen_hillier]

saigonij - 19/12/07 at 09:15 PM

try again with those pictures...

stephen_hillier - 19/12/07 at 09:32 PM

with the pics (hopefully!)... Rescued attachment IMG_8710.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_8710.jpg

stephen_hillier - 19/12/07 at 09:33 PM

and another... (I'll learn how to insert pictures properly one day!) Rescued attachment IMG_8714.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_8714.jpg

daviep - 19/12/07 at 09:47 PM

To be honest that doesn't look right to me.

A few questions

1: What is the banjo bolt screwed into or is the flare nut screwed straight on to the banjo bolt?

2: If the flare nut is straight onto the banjo bolt is the end of the banjo bolt shaped to seal on a flared pipe?

3: Have you tried it?

I don't want to say it's not right but unless there is an adapter in there that you can't see in the photo then I think you'll be luck if that seals.

If the flare nut has bottomed out on the bracket which would be the only way to get the banjo to seal on the copper washers then you cannot tell if it has tighten the flared pipe up correctly.

Conversley if the flare nut has tightened on to the copper pipe you don't know how tightly the banjo will seal on the copper washers.

Hope this makes sense I'm quite tired and could be talking rubbish

Regards
Davie

Wish I could do those short straight to the point replys!!!!

[Edited on 19/12/07 by daviep]

daviep - 19/12/07 at 09:48 PM

Copper washer under the banjo shouldn't really be onto a painted surface either.

Davie

stephen_hillier - 19/12/07 at 09:54 PM

I haven't tried it - i thought it best to get some opinions first. It definately isn't how it should be but there isn't enough space in the hub carrier to get the banjo bolt. I suppose I'll have to do the sensible thing and buy somemore flexi hose with a differnt joining arrangement.

Any comments on the handbrake cable?

Thanks!

bonzoronnie - 19/12/07 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
To be honest that doesn't look right to me.

A few questions

1: What is the banjo bolt screwed into or is the flare nut screwed straight on to the banjo bolt?

2: If the flare nut is straight onto the banjo bolt is the end of the banjo bolt shaped to seal on a flared pipe?

3: Have you tried it?

I don't want to say it's not right but unless there is an adapter in there that you can't see in the photo then I think you'll be luck if that seals.

If the flare nut has bottomed out on the bracket which would be the only way to get the banjo to seal on the copper washers then you cannot tell if it has tighten the flared pipe up correctly.

Conversley if the flare nut has tightened on to the copper pipe you don't know how tightly the banjo will seal on the copper washers.

Hope this makes sense I'm quite tired and could be talking rubbish

Regards
Davie

Wish I could do those short straight to the point replys!!!!

[Edited on 19/12/07 by daviep]

Sorry but I have to agree with daviep's thoughts.

On the face of things, it's not looking like that banjo union will seal.

One thing for sure. The SVA tester will probably give you a staight fail. If he is in a very,very good mood he may let you disconnect the pipe to prove a seal exists on such an unorthodox arrangement.

Ronnie

[Edited on 19/12/07 by bonzoronnie]

indykid - 19/12/07 at 11:38 PM

where's the outer on the handbrake cable?

is it sierra? if so, the steel spring outer will stop any wear issues on the cable

that banjo bolt just looks........wrong. i can't see any way it'll seal unless it's been machined to fit with seriously tight tolerances....or you're incredibly lucky

tom

02GF74 - 20/12/07 at 10:06 AM

NO WAY! can I see that passing.

Unless someone corrects me, bolt for banjo is hollow bolt with and hole in the side that will allow fluid to go into the banjo, seal made via copper washers.

The bolts screw into a tapped hole e.g. in a caliper.

I cannot believe there is the correct flare on the bolt to accept the brake pipe end since they were neve designed to be fitted that way

You need to get a brake hose with the correct ends - should be around a tenner - not major money at all.

l

wilkingj - 20/12/07 at 10:41 AM

Banjo bolt goes to the Caliper, not to the pipe.

Make sure the surface on the caliper is flat, and clean. the use a NEW copper washer, or anneal the one you have, or it probably wont seal properly.

The Banjo does not fit to the inline fitting like you show it in your Pics.

These pics are of Luego's Demonstrator (loads of pics in my archive. I took them for reference when I built mine).

Rear N/Side H/Brake + Pipe 2
Rear N/Side H/Brake + Pipe 2

Rear O/Side H/Brake + Pipe
Rear O/Side H/Brake + Pipe

EDIT:
Just noticed you have drums. You probably need different flexi pipes with male threads both ends. Those ones in your pics are definatelythe same as what I had for my discs.

Another idea!
Also with a set of brackets you can convert to discs at the rear, but you would need a different handbrake cable as well.

I would have a chat with Luego to check you have the right flexi's for the rear Drums.

Make sure you tell them you have Drums not discs.

[Edited on 20/12/2007 by wilkingj]

bill132hotrod - 10/1/08 at 11:13 PM

HI there im new to this site , and im also building a velocity and to be quite honest with you mate you have got it all wrong , ive just done my rear brakes and the 1st thing is that pipe with the banjo on it is supposed to be for the front brakes not the back, cant make head nor tail of your first picture either ,i think you had better start again (sorry) BILL