Board logo

Viento on a budget? Buy these!
Tricky Dave - 16/10/05 at 05:11 PM

I bought myself a Viento second hand at the beginning of Summer, fully built and SVA'd with a 2.0 Pinto engine.

So that I don't get bored over Winter I've now bought a BMW 325i (E36) engine and box, which will be replacing the Pinto over Winter. So...

For sale: Engine mounts, exhaust, and propshaft. All Luego supplied, 2 years old (1 year running) with 3000 miles on them. About £750 worth of stuff if bought new from Luego.

Also the engine and box; 205 series pinto (same one as cosworth) with twin weber45s, about 76000 miles. All can be seen installed and running nicely!

Make me an offer! Not looking for silly money.

Dave
dctrainor@hotmail.com
07730 584 273 (out of office hours please!)

PS Alternatively I suppose I could sell the car and start again! Offers welcomed!

Paul (Notts) - 16/10/05 at 05:30 PM

Hi Dave,
I am currently trying to rebuild an old rover V8 engine for my Viento but have also been toying with the idea of a BMW 325i, would like to know how the conversion go's space wise and mountings.

Good luck...

Tricky Dave - 17/10/05 at 07:38 PM

Hi!

I've spoken to Grant at Luego about it and apparently it's been done before - he even has off the shelf mountings. He's expressed interest in taking my car for an exhaust fitting so a standard item can be produced. Prop shaft can be made up for about £300.

Initital indications are that it's all going to be quite a snug but good fit! Even the gear stick seems to be in the right place.

One downside is the weight of the unit. I believed (before buying) that the engine weighed 136kg - http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html . Having hefted it around a bit and
now found this site http://www.bmwworld.com/engines/m50.htm that seems unlikely! I'm planning on dry sumping it to try and keep all that weight as low as possible (and the other benefits of course) and I keep telling myself that 20 stone of me almost on the back axle will maintain the weight distribution somewhere near 50:50! Does worry me that the engine leans 30 deg towards the driver's side though - will have to get a fatter girlfriend to balance it out!

wilkingj - 17/10/05 at 09:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tricky Dave
will have to get a fatter girlfriend to balance it out!

Ahh.. that means you will need to remove those stickers from the dash.. The one that says "NO Phat Chicks"

I believe ther is a piccy of a Viento on Luego's site (under customers cars) with a Beamer engine in it. Nice engine even if it is a bit heavy.
I was thinking of the Land Rover BMW diesel engine (The TD5) 5 cylinder job, nice smooth and powerful unit. and 200Bhp if chipped, and TONS of torque as well. Downside is the TD5's are still too new, and very expensive at the moment.
I fancy a diesel Viento... I will wait untill I get fed up the the V8 in the Viento then just change the engine / box. Saves building another complete car.

Avoneer - 17/10/05 at 10:59 PM

Try Dunning and Fairbank in Leeds for your prop - I bet the same one will be over half the price.

Pat...

Simon - 18/10/05 at 07:55 PM

Geoff

How about this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-2-7-turbo-diesel-engine-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ4582440221QQcategoryZ10398QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ATB

Simon

Paul (Notts) - 18/10/05 at 08:36 PM

took this pic last year at luego ( have a few more of the engine bay )

looks good Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

Danozeman - 31/10/05 at 07:24 PM

quote:

I fancy a diesel Viento... I will wait untill I get fed up the the V8 in the Viento then just change the engine / box. Saves building another complete car

U will never get fed up with a V8 unless u have ear trouble!!

The sound is all you need.