Board logo

BAD News.... Crisis in the garage!!
wilkingj - 3/1/05 at 10:03 PM

Well It was going slowly but nicely.
Today my Son was asking too many questions about the new engine stand, and the V8. So I fixed the engine to the stand, and we began to strip in the Garage.

We were really getting into it... so I grabbed the Camera and too a few shots..

This has now brought my life to a halt, and some real trouble is now in store for me..

Here a a few of the piccies. Sorry if they are a bit too big.
I am not sure they are suitable for the Forum... Some are REALLY DIRTY, and may cause undue distress to those without a strong constitution.

Dark Secrets lurking inside!
Dark Secrets lurking inside!

Stripped Head in the Garage
Stripped Head in the Garage

Slightly Worn Tappet Blocks
Slightly Worn Tappet Blocks

Slightly Worn Bearings
Slightly Worn Bearings

Sorted the pics - Chris

[Edited on 3/1/05 by ChrisW]

paulbeyer - 3/1/05 at 11:00 PM

Eh? am I missing something? Where is the life ending crisis?

ray.h. - 3/1/05 at 11:12 PM

I can see the shells look bad but do the journals look as bad,i think pobably not.
A hone and new rings usually sorts out the oiling problems with the pistons.
Most other parts are not too dear to replace i think.Give it a good clean it
won,t look half as bad.Valve guides are probably shot but any competant
engineer will change them for you and get you new valves if needed.

[Edited on 3/1/05 by ray.h.]

Mark Allanson - 3/1/05 at 11:12 PM

Life ending - No, engine ending - Yes

I would say that it has had a long and interesting life, lived life to the full..............

ray.h. - 3/1/05 at 11:25 PM

I dissagree, thats only just run in. Im sure its not terminal.

Rorty - 4/1/05 at 03:23 AM

That looks like any RV8 in it's youthful prime.
They are a filthy running engine if they're not serviced regularly (aren't all engines? doh!). Rovers are often neglected because they're such a soft engine and people are scared of the service bill for a V8.
As long as there isn't too much bore wear, I'd just clean it all up, add new bearings, guides and possibly rings and let her rip a while longer.
I'd also do something about the gawdawful breather on the rocker cover too.
I know people who have raced grassers with worse looking engines than that!

jollygreengiant - 4/1/05 at 07:22 PM

Hmm not good but not bad, PROVIDING that the bores are OK and that you removed the hydraulic followers from the sump after the cam was removed so that you didn't score the follower bores.
Followers usually mushroom out at cam end so that if you try to remove them from the top they score the follower bores and then you loose a bit of oil pressure from the followers.

Big ends and mains will want replacing, and it will probably be a good Idea to overhaul/replace oil pump. ( Dont forget to prime the pump by packing it, between rotors, with petroleum jelly, or vaseline to other mortals). Oh and while you are replacing oil pump internals it is time to think whether you will be using distributor with points OR the later contact less distributor. Because the oil pump drive is different depending on the distributor type.
Cam shaft and followers will want replacing (I bet at least 5 of the Lobes are badly worn).
Apart from that (you really don't want to be replacing pistons at about £70 each/ £560 a set) a good honing and a serious de coke with new gasket should do the trick.
Oh & I've been there & done it.

Enjoy. 18days to go.

wilkingj - 4/1/05 at 08:12 PM

Heads are Leaded as well. Just found that out today..

I am taking the block to Ivor Searles tomorrow, for some measuring... to see what my options are.

Regards

Geoff

jollygreengiant - 4/1/05 at 10:14 PM

Heads aren't a major problem, Late range rover V8's are unleaded. Really late ones come with fuel injection.

The limiting factor is the compression ratio which is controlled by the pistons. Compression ratio might be stamped on the block near the engine number.

Oh and if you really want to fit exhaust manifold gaskets, they are the same as the three larger pinto items ( they fit perfectly )

Enjoy. 18 days to go.

Simon - 5/1/05 at 09:50 PM

My SD1 engine is leaded, but for the mileage I'm going to be doing, I don't really care.

It'll get some additive every couple of tanks. Might even just drop a block of lead in tank

ATB

Simon

wilkingj - 9/1/05 at 09:49 PM

SD1 Engines should be unleaded, engines made after about 1976 ish that are unleaded.
Its Rover P5 and P6's that are leaded.

Anyway.. bought another engine off Ebay today, picked it up, stripped it down by 2pm...
Recon bottom end consisted of a new shells, on scored mains. Big Ends seem OK.
Now I have got a micrometer off Ebay, when it arrives I will be able to measure the cranks..
by at £50 I only wanted it for the heads.
so I got a Stiff Block model as well, and pleanty of spares now. Tooo many decisions of which bits to use. got 3 manifolds... and may even attempt to modify one for a Holly type carb