Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiatior sizing.
Doug68

posted on 20/11/06 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Radiatior sizing.

Has anyone come across any sort math based method for working out the area required for radiators?

Normally yes you jam in the biggest that will fit, but in my case the the radiators coming first and the hole it fits in will be designed around that.

Doug

kb58

posted on 20/11/06 at 04:02 AM Reply With Quote
This won't answer your question, but having a good pressure drop across the radiator core is far more important than the size of it. With proper ducting, an amazingly small radiator works great.

The secret's in proper exit duct design.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 20/11/06 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
The picture shows the current plan where the air goes in under the radiator and exits through the hood ala Ferrari.

The current radiator size shown is 19" x 30"

What I want to is vertically mount the radiator in front of the forward bulkhead which will mean it'll get a size of ~12" x ~34" and vent through the wheel arches.

The engine being cooled is a V8 Toyota which in my dreams will one day make ~400hp

Obviously from the nose to the rad will be a sealed duct.

Doug. Rescued attachment Front.jpg
Rescued attachment Front.jpg

nitram38

posted on 20/11/06 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
It is not a good idea to have a radiator at anything greater than a 30 degree angle to the airflow. Yours will be 90 degrees?
Doug68

posted on 20/11/06 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
I lifted the idea straight from Pininfarina.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/2006/2006-Ferrari-P45-Pininfarina-Construction-1024x768.htm

From my point of view the main thing would be to slow the air down to build pressure on the inlet side of the rad. Notice the difference in area between the radiator and inlet in the picture.

In my case now want to stand the rad upright but thats going to mean a smaller radiator and I don't want to fry the motor. Hence my question on how to work out radiator sizes.

RazMan

posted on 20/11/06 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I may have misunderstood your drawing / description but if the rad is placed flat & horizontal you will have to fabricate some efficient ducting to change the airflow direction for maximum efficiency, therefore the rad size will have to increase to compensate. If you have the rad at about 30-45 degrees the airlow will be changed BY the rad and you just need to look at the exit ducting.

I am running a Duratec 2.5 V6 with a Polo rad and it does the job suprisingly well. Rescued attachment Combo Tank 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Combo Tank 2.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doug68

posted on 20/11/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yes obviously it'll need to be fully ducted in on the inlet side, I didn't get that into the model yet as I'm still toying with the placement.
bimbleuk

posted on 20/11/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the Elise layout. The radiator is basically horizontal. They were allegedley sized to cool up to 200BHP. The VHPD engines are 197BHP (when properly tuned)

There are quite a few Audi/Honda engined Elises' out there with 300BHP and even more and they seem to be working fine. I believe they do have up rated rads though.

The cooling issues on the Elise are related to the thermo stat position, liner movement and head gasket design.

nitram38

posted on 20/11/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
You will need to install curved baffles to re-direct the airflow and from the pictures, the pinafarina car has the rad a lot higher up than your design. I suspect the egg crate grill is part of the ducting.
I have had cooling issues with my car until I re adjusted my rad from 45 degrees to 30 degrees.
I can't remember where I read this, but it is one of those things that you will find out when you drive at speed.
My car was fine in traffic, but on motorways the temperature slowly climbed. This is because the airflow took the path of least resistance. Changing the angle meant no more cooling issues.
The rad was even located in a enclosed duct.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.