Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearbox for BEC middy?
akumabito

posted on 6/8/05 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox for BEC middy?

Has anyone tried using an Alfa33 gearbox? It's a nice and compact unit, not too heavy either. Should make a nice transaxle for a BEC middy I think. It may not be a sequential gearbox, but at least you've got a proper reverse gear..
JoelP

posted on 6/8/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
would seem to me an awful lot of effort to use it, when the bike gearbox is compact, 6 speed, and ready to go. Reverse really is useless with cars so light.

akumabito

posted on 6/8/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
But it's no transaxle gearbox.. perhaps this would be easier to build?
Peteff

posted on 6/8/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa 33 is not a transaxle either, it's a front wheel drive box.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/05 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Pete, I think it is a transaxle, just mounted up the front end, it also has inboard discs certainly in the alfasud guise

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 6/8/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Sud I had was a gearbox not a transaxle. It joined directly to the engine, just not transverse. 33 uses the same setup but without inboard disks and handbrake setup. Alfa 90 and 75 were the last to use transaxles and were rear wheel drive.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

robertwa

posted on 7/8/05 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
Guess people have different ideas of what a transaxle is. I would consider the alfa 33/sud a transaxle, as I would a VW beetle one. I heard you can swop around the ring and pinion in the alfa one too if you need to.
Rob

Rorty

posted on 7/8/05 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
All the Alfasuds I ever saw were FWD and had transaxles, but maybe there were some specials built.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 7/8/05 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Enlighten me please

What's the difference between a gearbox and a transaxle? I thought the transaxle was a remote gearbox connected to the engine by a torque tube or prop shaft? Am I under a misapprehension. I was basing my assumption on the one I had which was a 1.5ti. Here's a bit from my manual. Rescued attachment alfabox.jpg
Rescued attachment alfabox.jpg

yours, Pete

JoelP

posted on 7/8/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
as far as i know, a transaxle is simply a gearbox with two outputs, hence including the diff. ie all FWD cars have transaxles. I dont think it matters if they are transverse or longtitudinal.

It definately doesnt have to be remote, as all the FWD audis are described as having a transaxle

TheGecko

posted on 7/8/05 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have always understood transaxle to be a contraction of transmission and axle, meaning a transmission combined with a final drive. On that basis it doesn't matter where it's mounted relative to the engine, just that it combines the gearbox and diff. The definition currently on Wikipedia is the same, although Wikipedia is not always a bastion of accuracy

Dominic

stevebubs

posted on 7/8/05 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Guys - you're missing one fundamental issue which I think Joel has already tried to point out

The bike gearbox is part of the engine. Fitting a transaxle gearbox would give you 2 gearboxes - a bit OTT perhaps

The only value of using a transaxle is you get a free reverse gear.

On the other hand, IIRC, the pell genesis in it's original guise used a bike engine with fwd rover box behind it. To reduce unnecessary weight, All the cogs were removed from the rover box except a single foward gear and reverse.

S

[Edited on 7/8/05 by stevebubs]

Rorty

posted on 8/8/05 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
TheGeko's definition is what I've always understood a transaxle to be; it's a gearbox with a diff and axles.
The Renault 20, 25 and 30, Citroens etc. etc. are front wheel drive and run a transaxle, yet Porsches, VW Beetles, etc. etc are rear wheel drive and still run a transaxle.
The very last visible line of Pete's manual should be a warning to all those thinking of using an Alfasud box!

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.