Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Site update......bonnet mods...
Alan B

posted on 23/5/05 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Site update......bonnet mods...

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/Bodywork%203.htm#bottom

Working on mods to the bonnet (hood)...I hope you can see what I'm trying to do.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 23/5/05 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,

are you going to have to put a new return on the mould where you've widedned the cockpit? or will you use some edging material to tidy the edge up?

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 23/5/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
New return Ned.

On this body I'll put up a temporary damn/edging strip an lay up on the back side of it to give me a return edge.

Hopefully the pictures to come will explain it.

Cheers,

Alan

ned

posted on 23/5/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Alan,
forgot to say, progress is looking good as always, depsite the lengthy time consumingness of it all!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Alan B

posted on 23/5/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ned.

There is just far too much to do for it ever to be a quick and easy project.......so nibbling away is just about my only option...

One day I'll get there...

kb58

posted on 23/5/05 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, as I force myself through endless sanding and filling of my shell, it makes me appreciate what you and others go through; you guys who made your own buck and molds. Quite honestly I don't enjoy it much... or at all. It's an endless Catch-22 of not wanting to work on it yet realizing if I don't it'll never get done. It's so much different then working on the chassis, where I'd see daily progress in a very physical way. Working on the shell, all I'm rewarded with after a long day's messy work is a slightly smoother panel.

And yet I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay someone else to do it. Even one week of having the pros work on it would be around $2000... I can't do that so I just keep sanding away. If only we'd vacuum bagged it I'd have a *lot* less work to do...

Sorry for the rant, you're doing a great job Alan.

[Edited on 5/23/05 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

Alan B

posted on 23/5/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Alan, as I force myself through endless sanding and filling of my shell, it makes me appreciate what you and others go through; you guys who made your own buck and molds. Quite honestly I don't enjoy it much... or at all. It's an endless Catch-22 of not wanting to work on it yet realizing if I don't it'll never get done. It's so much different then working on the chassis, where I'd see daily progress in a very physical way. Working on the shell, all I'm rewarded with after a long day's messy work is a slightly smoother panel.

And yet I'm too much of a cheapskate to pay someone else to do it. Even one week of having the pros work on it would be around $2000... I can't do that so I just keep sanding away. If only we'd vacuum bagged it I'd have a *lot* less work to do...

Sorry for the rant, you're doing a great job Alan.

[Edited on 5/23/05 by kb58]

Thanks KB.......no need to apologize for the rant......I agree with every word.....you just have to keep at it even when it's not fun (i.e . during most of the bodywork)....

Keep at it .....the end is in sight....

Alan B

posted on 1/6/05 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
BTTT

More work on the bonnet....starting to take shape......any comments?

Cheers,

Alan

David Jenkins

posted on 1/6/05 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Alan - not 100% sure about the apature in the bonnet - it's a bit too "Batcar" for my tastes. What are your plans for this hole?

I do like the general curves though... it could look bland otherwise.

Keep up the good work!

rgds,
David

Alan B

posted on 1/6/05 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
David, thanks.

The "batcar" aperture was just an intermediate stage, the latest pics should show it filled in.

Cheers,

Alan

pbura

posted on 2/6/05 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hate to say it, but I don't think the sides of the hood should rise above the center, then back below, as they do.

IMO, dropping the side sections way down LMP-style would look great, but this would involve reworking the insides of your fenders, so let's not. How about running channels alongside the center section?

Crap photoshop example of what I mean: Rescued attachment 5-29-05-hood03.jpg
Rescued attachment 5-29-05-hood03.jpg

Pete

Alan B

posted on 2/6/05 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Pete, I see what you mean...the paint-shopping is fine...looks good, but I'm limited by the suspension underneath....

Oh well.....I'll keep plugging away...

Cheers,

Alan

pbura

posted on 2/6/05 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Something will come to you...

Forgot to add that the car is looking stunning! The design is growing on me.

Too bad about those headlight regs, eh? Low ones would look great. I've been wondering about how Porsche 924 flip-ups would go.

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.