Board logo

Minor updates....starting on the headlights
Alan B - 7/12/03 at 02:46 PM

Guys, some minor progress on the headlights..

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/

I had to have them protruding a little...just no room to bury them in the arch and stay at a legal height........
This is doctored pic of the lights in position...

I guess it is a little "Zonda-like" but not too much as I wont be exagerating the effect as Zonda seemed to do.
I think I like it.....but no doubt you'll all let me know if I do or not...

sgraber - 7/12/03 at 03:13 PM

Hey! Those are the same light units that I've been looking at! I have been searching for some other source. (Cheaper)... But the link you gave was basically the only one I found.

I think the lights look very nice in that configuration.

I am wondering what it would look like if the inner unit was lowered and more forward in the wheel arch... ? Or do they both have to be at the height at the top of the arch in order to meet code?

Graber

Alan B - 7/12/03 at 03:22 PM

Hi Steve, funny just been discussing that.....Yes, the Hi Beams on the inside can be lower...I have up to 2" to play with...code says 22", current ones shown are 24".......

I think I prefer that set up too....

sgraber - 7/12/03 at 03:37 PM

Like this? Rescued attachment Meerkatlights2.jpg
Rescued attachment Meerkatlights2.jpg

Alan B - 7/12/03 at 03:44 PM

Spooky...I have the exact picture here...

Yes, just like that...

suparuss - 7/12/03 at 07:28 PM

im not keen on the way they sem to point out to the side of the car, other that that, they look very neat! i think i prefer em at different heights too.

Russ.

Hugh Paterson - 7/12/03 at 07:34 PM

Yup Alan, Lights at different heights look better IMHO
Shug.

Alan B - 7/12/03 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by suparuss
im not keen on the way they sem to point out to the side of the car, other that that, they look very neat! i think i prefer em at different heights too.

Russ.

Russ, it's just bad "photoshopping"...they really will be pointing dead straight...

Thanks all for the feedback.....different heights they are.....inner (main/hi beams) are 1" lower and 2" forward...I'll have real pics soon...

Cheers guys...

MikeR - 7/12/03 at 07:52 PM

I realise this isn't a build by committee and all that but .... personal preference, split heights.

Now don't suppose you know if those lenses have 'E' marks on them do you? (European union all legal lights have an 'E' number that begins with an .... 'E'!)

JoelP - 7/12/03 at 07:54 PM

all good alan! nowt wrong with zondas either!!<<<<

oops i changed it for a bugatti didnt i...? doh

[Edited on 7/12/03 by JoelP]

Alan B - 7/12/03 at 07:57 PM

Erm.....I meant bad photoshoppping by me......Steve just altered what I did....

Alan B - 7/12/03 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I realise this isn't a build by committee and all that but .... personal preference, split heights.

Now don't suppose you know if those lenses have 'E' marks on them do you? (European union all legal lights have an 'E' number that begins with an .... 'E'!)

They sure do Mike....they are imported from Germany...hence a bit pricey here.

Alan B - 7/12/03 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
all good alan! nowt wrong with zondas either!!<<<<

oops i changed it for a bugatti didnt i...? doh

[Edited on 7/12/03 by JoelP]

I agree, I like the Zonda...just trying not to copy it...or anything else if I can help it..

MikeR - 8/12/03 at 12:13 PM

Don't suppose you'd post some information about the lights would you? Size, cost, where you get them from?

sgraber - 8/12/03 at 03:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
Erm.....I meant bad photoshoppping by me......Steve just altered what I did....

Erm - you would be correct !!!
LOL!

Graber

MikeR - http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/hella/90mm.htm

Hugh Paterson - 8/12/03 at 03:05 PM

They look a bit like hellas from this range
Shug.

MikeR - 9/12/03 at 12:31 AM

Hmmm, those hella's probably won't pass UK SVA tests. The dipped beam (or low as i'm guessing you call it) has no patten on the front of it. In the uk the lense has to have a pattern that directs the beam towards the nearside kerb. Bit of a shame as 3in lights are rather sexy.

Sven - 9/12/03 at 01:34 AM

FWIW, I prefer the lights offset. Is there room to put them vertical, that might look cool.

timf - 10/12/03 at 03:05 PM

hi alan

i like the one up one down

but i don't think your air con unit will catch on

Alan B - 13/12/03 at 06:56 PM

A bit further on now.....more at..

http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/Bodywork%203.htm#bottom

This pic shows my idea (based on Cliff's) of a reworked grille.....seems to suit the lights better IMO

pbura - 13/12/03 at 07:56 PM

Looking great, Alan! The view from that driver's seat has got to be fantastic. I'll bet that you play "vroom, vroom" all the time.

I'm wondering about turn indicators and the front license plate position. Won't "arse" you with a question, just waiting for the drama to unfold.

Alan B - 13/12/03 at 08:05 PM

Pete, Thanks..

Actually I hardly ever get in it...the extended side skirt board and being about 12" off the ground make it hard to get in...

Turn signals I will surface mount, but front number/license plate will need addressing....not a problem in FL (we don't have 'em) but will be for other places....

Time to go and put more filler on the LH headlights....

sgraber - 14/12/03 at 03:59 AM

Alan, as we say in Puerto Rico.

Fantastico!!!!

Rorty - 14/12/03 at 04:12 AM

Top work Alan. I like it a lot, not that my opinion means squat.

quote:

number/license plate will need addressing....not a problem in FL (we don't have 'em)
So, do all the getaway drivers in FL make off in reverse gear after a heist?

Alan B - 14/12/03 at 04:02 PM

Thanks guys...much appreciated..

Rorty, all opinions are important.....

Ultimately, if it does end up being sold as a kit, it will sell on opinion.....rather than fact..

BTW, I have seen a reverse getaway....guy drove into a gas station....filled up...then jumped in and reversed out fast for about 100 yards before turning round.......

Seems he inadvertently forgot to pay..