Board logo

cox GTM, should i get one?
scotty g - 4/3/07 at 05:09 PM

hi all, as a result of doing a favour for a friend this morning i discovered an early COX GTM in a garage, the owner is wanting to get rid of it and is prepared to let it go.
Its all there, in bits but could be put back together again ok and with a spray job could look quite nice again, even the missus has given the green light which really took me by suprise (i think she wants it for herself!).
any of you guys got any experiences with these cars.
In my shoes would you have it?
Comments please.
Cheers

mookaloid - 4/3/07 at 05:25 PM

That was the first kit car I ever really wanted - I could still get enthusiastic about one if it came my way

Why not?

Cheers

Mark

scotty g - 4/3/07 at 05:39 PM

Don't know how much the guy wants for it yet but i don't think it will be very much.
i've been looking at pictures of them all day and liking it more and more.

mookaloid - 4/3/07 at 06:09 PM

I hate to say this - but It would be awesome with a bike engine in it

chrisg - 4/3/07 at 06:16 PM

Is it registered?

If not it might be difficult to get through the SVA, not being designed with it in mind.

If it is I'd go for it, and I'd go along with the bike engine idea too!

Cheers

Chris

scotty g - 4/3/07 at 06:19 PM

Would be very quick but i think her indoors would not like it so much.
If i get it i will just stick with the a-series at first and look at putting something newer in it next year, first thought is a k-series but whatever will fit i guess!
Just been reading up on them some more, apparently only about 50 of the original COX ones were made and that was back in 67-68 so probably not that many around now.

iank - 4/3/07 at 06:26 PM

If it's an original Cox GTM they suffered badly form bumpsteer IIRC. That was sorted out on the newer shape Coupe.

If it hasn't got a windscreen that will be the biggest single cost getting it back on the road as it's a bespoke item (assuming it's registered).

It was also the first kitcar I ever went out in, and seriously considered, and that would be 20 years ago

I don't think a bike engine + chain driven diff would fit in the back due to the length you would need (but I'd love to be proved wrong) , an XE has been fitted in one and it was very very rapid

scotty g - 4/3/07 at 06:31 PM

its all registered and legal but been SORN for a while now, i think its tax exempt as well.
the one in the picture is an example and not the one i'm looking at!

[Edited on 4/3/07 by scotty g] Rescued attachment 1969 cox gtm.jpg
Rescued attachment 1969 cox gtm.jpg

paulf - 4/3/07 at 06:56 PM

I know where there is a latter GTM 1275 near me that may be for sale cheap.It has stood outside the house for at least 6 years with the engine cover off, apparently the gearbox was damaged over a humpback bridge.I have considered having a look to see if i can buy it and fit a blade engine that I have, but decided that it may be a bit to heavy for bike power, does anyone know how much they weigh?
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I hate to say this - but It would be awesome with a bike engine in it

MikeRJ - 4/3/07 at 10:37 PM

My uncle has a very nicely sorted Cox with a tuned Metro Turbo engine installed, bit of a handful in the wet but certainly quick enough.

Be careful with the steel floor pan/bulkheads that are bonded into the GRP body, if they rot it's not a simple job to repair.

matnrach - 8/3/07 at 09:55 PM

If anybody is interested, the rebuild of my mini engined car is ready soon. Some pics in my folder. I will add more later.
Plenty of development still to do!

[Edited on 8/3/07 by matnrach]