Board logo

Thoughts about next build project....
Dick Bear - 19/11/06 at 08:29 PM

I've been thinking about what I want to build after I finish the McBearen and have made three drawings of possiblities. I'd love to have some opinions from you all if you want to express them here or take the time to respond at:

http://metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6385

I may be biting off more than I can chew with the monocoque idea but I've been known to do that in the past (bite off too much), so why should I change now?

I'm sorry but I wasn't familiar enough with the LocostBuilders site to load three attacments at once so I loaded just one to give you an idea of what direction I will be taking.

The site and thread listed above has the other two illustrations and descriptions for all three. Feel free point out any information you feel would be helpful to me before I begin.

Thanks,

Dick Bear Rescued attachment Erin GTXP2.jpg
Rescued attachment Erin GTXP2.jpg

Confused but excited. - 19/11/06 at 08:35 PM

I liked the roadster. Well cool.
The GTXP" looks too much like a MiniJem that has been assaulted by an Elise.

cloudy - 19/11/06 at 08:44 PM

I also favour the roadster, what about trying a plane style (one in front of the other) driver/passenger config?

James

[Edited on 19/11/06 by cloudy]

iscmatt - 19/11/06 at 08:45 PM

Its the GTXP2 for me, the others dont quite do it for me, a car nose between the front seems a funny look.
The GTXP2 looks really nice good for all weathers and you can enjoy the fun with another person!

akumabito - 19/11/06 at 09:34 PM

Hmm... I don't really like any of those all that much. Guess the roadster looks best.

But Bear, you're a metal-working God! Surely you could make a vehicle that is sexy beyond belief?

I nominate a Jaguar XJ13 replica for candidate next project!

James - 19/11/06 at 09:47 PM

With your metal working skills.....

why not stick with the Mclaren theme.... an F1!

I can assure you, if it was accurate looking I would willingly buy a second set of bodywork from you!

Cheers,
James

RazMan - 19/11/06 at 11:22 PM

I vo9te for the 3rd option .......... and if you take a look at my avatar you will realise why

<<<<<<

Doug68 - 20/11/06 at 12:52 AM

The one posted is what the one I like best however it's very Porsche like to me. I saw a D sports racer at Infineon a few years back that was a minature copy of a porsche LM car of some type and this reminds me a lot of that.

A lot of people go on about how hard doors are to do too, I guess I'll find out about that when I get there.

Also to me getting a properly curved windscreen that not a $M was a worry which amongst other reasons is why I'm using a flat one. If you go for a bent windscreen then i think you should buy it early as the proportions of whats available could drive the rest of the design.

The attached picture is what I think personally the best looking car not yet built. This body was done in alloy and anodized (probably stupidly expensive) to the colour would be superb. Rescued attachment cdn_portfolio_2571_6.jpg
Rescued attachment cdn_portfolio_2571_6.jpg

RazMan - 20/11/06 at 10:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Doug68

A lot of people go on about how hard doors are to do too, I guess I'll find out about that when I get there.

You are dead right there - the doors on my car were the most labour intensive part. I ended up going for a two part door - the upper window section is removable for summer & winter use. Getting the closure right for both parts was a real pain.