Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust heat on bodywork
stuart_g

posted on 17/5/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust heat on bodywork

I filled the cooling system today and got to run the engine up to temp. one thing I did notice after it had been idling for a bit is that the bodywork got really hot in the area above the exhaust headers. I have marked on the pic below the effected area. It hasn't done any damage but got really hot and very flexible.

Have I cut a big enough hole out of the bodywork for the headers. I was trying to have a small and neat as possible cut out. Would it help if I had more clearance?

P.S. the silencer was fitted while running

[Edited on 17/5/08 by stuart_g] Rescued attachment Exhaust heat area.JPG
Rescued attachment Exhaust heat area.JPG

adithorp

posted on 17/5/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Can you put some heat mat on the inside so it only gets heated from the outside? Having lined my Fury sill with it I can say it's very effective. The outside is only warm even after stationary running doing emmisions testing with no airflow through the sill.

adrian

Hellfire

posted on 17/5/08 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
You may notice a slight discolouration of the fibreglass around your headers when your exhaust gets extremely hot, although this is not permanent and disappears when cool. We fitted an aluminium trim around our cut-out and have no heat mat whatsoever. No problems to date and no hint of discolouration of the fibreglass. Yours will be fine.

Phil

marc n

posted on 17/5/08 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
hi stuart

that has to be one of the nicest shaped cut uots ive seen

i normally leave 25 -30 mm clearance to allow for heat

it is also worth asking is the car running quite lean as this will really heat the headers up, if you want a trim like team hellfires send me a paper template and i will draw it up and make in alloy or stainless

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 17/5/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments Marc

I don't think I have 25-30mm clearance so I will open the cut out up a bit if not.

Good point on the engine running lean hadn't even given that a thought. I would have thought the fuelling would have been leaned off after fitting the pipercross filter due to more airflow. I have a power commander but no map yet.

Thanks for the offer for making a trim. I'll get a template made and send it to you

Cheers....Stu.

worX

posted on 18/5/08 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'd hold off on the trim for now Stu and enlarge your cutout slightly. It's a good shape so just take it out another 10mm or so.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.