Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: question from a hopefull builder
Griffo

posted on 18/3/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
question from a hopefull builder

hello all, I thought it was about time i posted here as I have been a member for some time now.

I plan to start my build this summer, it will be based on the Haynes roadster by Chris Gibbs.

The plan at the moment is to try to construct my own full body by lying up carbon fibre and epoxy as you would fibre glass to keep the weight down. This is all cost dependent of course. If not i will probably go for the roadster body as outlined in the book but with the addition of a completely flat underside.

Now that I've given a bit of background I should probably get to my question shouldn't I.

So here goes....I'm torn between the ZX12R engine and a carb R1 engine. basically I want to know from people who are in the know are the gains from the ZX12R engine worth the extra work/cash? time and money are not such an issue as driveability/performance etc.

Thanks
Griffo

[Edited on 18/3/08 by Griffo]

twybrow

posted on 18/3/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think the general concensus is either will be very fast. The ZX12 would pull harder particularly if you are lardy or carrying a scared passenger. Either engine should be fairly bomb proof..... You pay your money you take your choice!

As for the bodywork - are you planning to make moulds? Do you realise the amount of work you are adding (I play with carbon all day but have kept clear of making bodywork due to the minimal weight saving versus the effort required)? If you have a set of moulds, then crack on - you could even make extra and earn a little bit on the side. You might be better to go on a diet instead!

coozer

posted on 18/3/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Put a car engine it! You'll never get 400bhp or 150mph out of a bike engine

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

TimC

posted on 18/3/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
It was my first build and I wanted to make a loom from scratch (more or less) so I went for the simplicity of the carb'd R1. If I was doing it again, I'd have a ZX12R... simply because I've seen these things in race cars and they are nothing short of mega.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 18/3/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Holeshot Racing can give you 500 BHP from a turbo Busa! Stick to bike engines, light weight and sequential shift! CEs contradict the 7 principle of performance through light weight!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

imp paul

posted on 18/3/08 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
zx12r turbo mb customs masive
Confused but excited.

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Forgetting a 500bhp Hyabusa, try Googling; 'Badsey Bullet'.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Forgetting a 500bhp Hyabusa, try Googling; 'Badsey Bullet'.

OMG what on earth is that!?! its so stupid, I want to see it go round a corner Rescued attachment badsey5.jpg
Rescued attachment badsey5.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tjoh84

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
but he wont get 400bhp or 150 out of his 1.8 zetec lol
paulmw

posted on 18/3/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Go for the Zx12. You will only kick yourself afterwards.
Griffo

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I think the general concensus is either will be very fast. The ZX12 would pull harder particularly if you are lardy or carrying a scared passenger. Either engine should be fairly bomb proof..... You pay your money you take your choice!

As for the bodywork - are you planning to make moulds? Do you realise the amount of work you are adding (I play with carbon all day but have kept clear of making bodywork due to the minimal weight saving versus the effort required)? If you have a set of moulds, then crack on - you could even make extra and earn a little bit on the side. You might be better to go on a diet instead!

Well im not the smallest guy, im about 6'1 and 15stone which will only go up.

Yeah i realise how huge a task it is but its something to have a crack at. the plan is to make moulds out of mdf and alot of filler to get the right shape. obvousally i need to look into it alot more. im gonna start off by doing dash bits and stuff like that to gauge how hard the overall body will be. i was thinking something like a WLR kinda shape so not an easy task. Im gonna start on producing a cad model of the car just as soon as i finish my uni project (which coincidentally is a carbon fibre solar car...shame its only a design and we dont get to make anything)

I'd like to say a big thankyou (starting to sound like an oscars speach here) to everyone who commented im amazed how quickly every one responded. much better than other forums i've been on.

I think the general consensus is that i should go for the ZX12R engine so thats wehat i'll be doing, i definatley dont want a CE in it as i like the idea of the sequential gear box and high revving nature not to mention the savings in weight.

Griffo

posted on 18/3/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Christ on a bike!

was that "Badsey Bullet" supposed to persuade me not to do my own body? thats bloody ugly!!! impressive 0-60 for a car that supposedly weighs 1144kg according to http://www.supercars.net/garages/CitroenSM/28v2.html

I think their figures may be a little off though

02GF74

posted on 19/3/08 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
have you looked at the cost of CF copared of GRP?

if you have never done any moulding before, I'd say it coset a fair bit in mistakesduring the learning process.

To do CF properly requires an autoclave - thus endeth my knowledge on CF.

Griffo

posted on 19/3/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
have you looked at the cost of CF copared of GRP?

if you have never done any moulding before, I'd say it coset a fair bit in mistakesduring the learning process.

To do CF properly requires an autoclave - thus endeth my knowledge on CF.

yeah i've been looking and i realise GRP is cheaper. may well go for that in the end...its up to my dad really, he's being kind enough to fund the project as a father son bonding/learning experience. plus he gets to use the car when ever he wants.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.