Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade 1000cc engines
Gav

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fireblade 1000cc engines

Right, i have oppertunity to purchase 2 1000c blade engines, i dont know exactly what year yet as ive not seen them yet, going to take a butchers later this week.
My uncle was given them when a friend of his was cleaning out a workshop, he wants £500 for the pair(whoopie!) is their any gotchas with these engine HISS? etc.

What i didnt understand is that my uncle(into his 60's) said they are deffinalty 1000cc engines but with carbs, i think he has mistaken the throttle boddies for carbs,
he also said they are hydrolic clutches, iirc only the later injection ones are hydrolic clutches?.

[Edited on 19/11/07 by Gav]

Guinness

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no Honda expert, but I think the early CBR1000's have hydraulic clutches and carbs. Check Jambojeef's photo archive for photos of his engine (which is an early CBR1000).

HTH

Mike

Hellfire

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
As above. Sound like CBR1000's to me.

Phil

Gav

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
ah! so they might be CBR1000 engines, he might of been mistaken then as he said they were Fireblade engines, he also said they had oil coolers....?

TimC

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gav
ah! so they might be CBR1000 engines, he might of been mistaken then as he said they were Fireblade engines, he also said they had oil coolers....?

Yup, sounds very much like the CBR1000F to me. They are a good strong motor and are capable of producing 919 'Blade matching power with slightly higher torque. However, they weigh approximately 30kgs more than the blade and are more complicated to plumb-in due to the external oil cooler etc. They have been succesfully used in a number of Indys and Strikers. There are also at least two people on this forum who've turbocharged these motors too.

Might still be worth a look.

[Edited on 19/11/07 by TimC]

Guinness

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
There you go, stick them both in a modified chassis and turbo the pair.

Lovely job!

Mike

Gav

posted on 19/11/07 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit the oppertunity to buy 2 in one go is quite tempting, get passed the sva, turbo one, if it blows ive got a spare

Do they differ much from and an early blade engine? in regards to the exhaust ports and mounting places, iirc i read some where they are very similar, not sure if they are interchangeable though...

ChrisGamlin

posted on 19/11/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
They're certainly not interchangeable with engine mounts etc, and I don't think the CBR1000F engine bears any real relation to the 893/919 Fireblade engine, as mentioned above the 1000F engine is a lot heavier and a older in design than the blade.

jambojeef

posted on 19/11/07 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah its no minorly modded blade - very different.

Negatives:

Clutch slave is a faff - need to make up a new mount cos the existing one cant be kept when the sprocket adaptor repalces the front sprocket.

Oil filter is very close to bottom chassis rail in a locost.

Engine is quite tall and so get a bonnet bulge or avoid speedbumps.

Heavy

Mild power output for its weight as standard

Positives:

Built very strongly

Very cheap - £100 for my last engine

Lots of parts availability

Low compression and mild valve overlap perhaps make it a little easier to turbo if you're into having a bit of an experiment with that kinda thing

Wider ratios in the box making for a bit more usability when in a car

Thats about it!

Geoff

Gav

posted on 19/11/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Geoff!

i must admit i got all moist about the idea of them being blade engines for soo cheap, but if they are the CBR1000 engine i dont think ill go for it and seem abit over priced for such an old engine. Must admint i liked the idea of having a go at turboing one, maybe in the future

TimC

posted on 19/11/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.