Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who's Building a ZX10R Car?
birt

posted on 2/2/07 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Who's Building a ZX10R Car?

My Phoenix has just arrived in Australia 5 months after my move so it is time to start the ZX10R transplant.

Just wanted to see who elso was doing a ZX10R car and share experiences. I have been working on a wiring diagram for a while now and also have some ideas about a neat oil cooler take off.

Do we know of anyone who has completed one yet?

bigrich

posted on 2/2/07 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
i,m three weeks into my zx10 MAC#1 build i,m using an 06 motor which i hope to have running in about 5 weeks or so.
i,m using a us spec loom and ecu so there is no immobiliser system to bypass just the usual anti hotwire device to get round with a resistor.

i.m sure Paul Fisher will be along soon, he's doing a ZX10 turbo MK indy

Rich

PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/2/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
There's me,and "bigrich" fitting 06 zx10r's,not sure if there's anyone else at the moment,bigrich is your man for electrics,Ive not got round to oil cooling bit yet,but on the zx10 theres a main gallery just to the right of the oil sight glass,and a return bung,on the other side of the block under the generator cover.

I wish I could type faster

I am using same US spec loom,I also imported my engine from the US too.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

birt

posted on 3/2/07 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one guys,

I have a UK spec loom, but I have the barrel so I will be using that and keeping the immobiliser. Will you be using a Power Commander Rich? I recently bought one from back home and it is on it's way over here.

Paul, ZX10R Turbo!? My ZX9R went like a rocket so I was thinking the 10R would be an animal anyway. Having said that, I have bought a complete nitrous oxide system with digital controller in a moment of madness!! But not sure that will ever make it onto the 10R. Are you gonna do the turbo system yourself or get a kit from somebody like Holeshot Racing?

I need to get out to the garage and check out the oil galleries you mention.

What are you guys doing about the 'interesting' gearing? I have a 3.38 Sierra diff and am reluctant to mess with it since it cost a fortune to have built (Quaife ATB). I also don't want to go for big wheels as I am trying to keep the weight (especially un-sprung mass) to an absolute minimum. I have 13" wheels with Toyo R888 205/60/13 tyres and according to my calcs I will only be good for 120mph at 13000rpm in top – which is ringing it out a bit! Do you guys know where the rev limit is?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 3/2/07 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
I am going to run a power commander on mine,the turbo is a Velocity kit,stage1,just 6 psi to 8psi boost,230 to 250bhp,I am running a 3.38 lsd diff on mine,not sure on wheel size as yet,wanted to go 13" 205 60 13,but gearing and traction,having a re think on that,13750rpm is the limit on the new zx10r's,its the spacing between 5th and 6th which looks very close on the zx10's,but a lot of the new engines,R1's GSXR'S are the same,may look at 225 50 15's on rear,with a 13750 limit should give me + 130mph should be fast enough for most circuits I use,but may still have to look out for a 3.14 diff,will have to wait and see.
Kev99

posted on 3/2/07 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi what sump mods have u done etc
locostv8

posted on 3/2/07 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Birt what is the car in your avitar and do you have a URL for them?

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

hobbsy

posted on 3/2/07 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Paul F - very interesting - I've sent you an email. I didn't realise they (Muzzys not Velocity) did 500bhp kits for the ZX10R - feck me!!! See this:

Doesn't mention uprated internals but it surely must have them!?!?

PAUL FISHER

posted on 3/2/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Email sent,cheers Paul
bigrich

posted on 3/2/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
i'm using a freelander diff with a 3.21 ratio which should give 125ish mph and just over 60 in first
it will be on 13inch rims. as for the power commander not to sure yet i think i;m going to fit a cat and do some emmision checks at work to see if i can get it through sva without, if thats a no go then i'll get my hand in my pocket again

regards bigrich

ChrisGamlin

posted on 3/2/07 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locostv8
Birt what is the car in your avitar and do you have a URL for them?

As it says below the avatar, a Stuart Taylor (STM) Phoenix

Stuart Taylor Motorsport

[Edited on 3/2/07 by ChrisGamlin]

birt

posted on 4/2/07 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
This turbo talk has got me very interested. I think I would struggle to package it under the Phoenix bonnet though. It is a lot easier to incorporate a bulge into a Locost bonnet than it is on a Phoenix. Having witnessed Chris Cook spend months making his Phoenix bonnet bulge taller to clear his XE engine, I am not sure I can go through all of that.

Paul, would it be possible to take a photo head-on of your engine bay so I can get a feel for where clearance might be an issue. As you can see from my pics, I already have a cut-out for the air filter so this could be similar for the plenum but it looks like the air pipe feeding the plenum from the turbo would be my biggest problem. I wander if it could be modified to come around the back of the engine and up into the underside of the plenum instead of up and over the cam cover??

Are you expecting problems with emissions for SVA?

Kev99: I have had my sump shortened, I will dig it out and take some photos and put them in my archive.

Marc

PAUL FISHER

posted on 4/2/07 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
It sticks up about 4" higher than the airbox did Marc,I will have to cut out the MK bonnet,you could turn the plenum the other way round and make some pipes up,I just thought it best to keep things tight neat and compact,I will take another better frontal picture when I get chance,I can't forsee any problems with emissions of a turbo engine through sva,cheers PAUL
G.Man

posted on 4/2/07 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Paul F - very interesting - I've sent you an email. I didn't realise they (Muzzys not Velocity) did 500bhp kits for the ZX10R - feck me!!! See this:

Doesn't mention uprated internals but it surely must have them!?!?

SUmmat don't look right with that dyno track...

Surely the torque and BHP graphs should cross at 5252 rpm not 6750??

Also the dip in BHP doesnt correspond with a dip in torque, well not one sufficient to create that dip in bhp...

By my calculations, the BHP at 9500 rpm should only be reading 361bhp not 450bhp... torque x rpm/5252

Maybe its showing rwt and cbhp and has a 20% loss in the drivetrain, but thats a LOT for a bike?????

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

bigrich

posted on 4/2/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
look at the graph again the thick red 500 hp and the thin red torque traces dont go down that low and the blue 230 hp/109 torque traces only start at 5250 rpm
Rich

[Edited on 4/2/07 by bigrich]

G.Man

posted on 4/2/07 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I know that, I am not quite that dumb

But that means they shouldn't cross at all, they should be already diverging and the bhp should never be below...

Also if you look, the ambient temp is just above freezing with 26% humidity..

Not your typical real world figures either...

Whole thing just looks a bit iffy imho...

At the point the BHP line starts, ie 6250 rpm, the engine is putting out 90ft/lbs which is 107bhp yet the graph only shows 65ish bhp...

65 bhp would be 54ft/lbs at 6250 rpm.. ie roughly the torque at 5252 rpm!

That would make the BHP and torque figures more in line... at the bottom at least...

chriscook

posted on 4/2/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've still got the mould! Would be happy to lay one up for you.

I can't believe you're thinking of turboing it when you've only just got it over there - especially when you got all the NOS kit waiting to go on.

Hang on actually I can

G.Man

posted on 5/2/07 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Duh..

Yes that must be it..

Well spotted Chris..

I'll close the door quietly as I go

PS. The temperature of the run still applies, I cannot imagine many people using all that power in near freezing conditions

[Edited on 5/2/07 by G.Man]

birt

posted on 5/2/07 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Emission is going to be my biggest problem with respect to passing the Aussie Design Rules (ADRs). Unlike the UK, kit-cars have to meet the same emissions targets as new cars which are very strict. I will have to pay quite a bit of money to have my car subject to a full emissions cycle dyno test and then probably repeat it a few times having fiddled with the Power Commander until (fingers crossed) I pass. Do you reckon it will help or hinder my chances if I turbo-charged? I know turbo-charging is more efficient per horsepower but does anybody know if it will be easier to get the overall emission levels down with forced induction? Obviously, the engine map will be changed to full power as soon as it gets the pass certificate.

I few other questions Paul, if I may. How are you intending on getting a good flow of air down to the compressor intake? (some long ducting from the front?) How is the exhaust going to be laid out? It looks like it will come forward out of the turbine so are you going to have a U-bend and exit the side of the engine bay where it normally would?

G.Man

posted on 5/2/07 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by birt
Emission is going to be my biggest problem with respect to passing the Aussie Design Rules (ADRs). Unlike the UK, kit-cars have to meet the same emissions targets as new cars which are very strict. I will have to pay quite a bit of money to have my car subject to a full emissions cycle dyno test and then probably repeat it a few times having fiddled with the Power Commander until (fingers crossed) I pass. Do you reckon it will help or hinder my chances if I turbo-charged? I know turbo-charging is more efficient per horsepower but does anybody know if it will be easier to get the overall emission levels down with forced induction? Obviously, the engine map will be changed to full power as soon as it gets the pass certificate.

I few other questions Paul, if I may. How are you intending on getting a good flow of air down to the compressor intake? (some long ducting from the front?) How is the exhaust going to be laid out? It looks like it will come forward out of the turbine so are you going to have a U-bend and exit the side of the engine bay where it normally would?

In the UK we have to meet the current new car emmissions requirements as well HC, CO etc... But I we dont go thru a full dyno run... just idle and fast idle.. we only get 2 runs to get it right max..

I think its better to get the car thru the test with a stock motor then add the turbo/supercharger later..

[Edited on 5/2/07 by G.Man]

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/2/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by birt

Ive got a couple of options,I could just put a 90 degree elbow,cut through the side,Dax busa turbo's tend to use this method,but it leaves the filter exposed to water spray,or I could cut a hole through the bulk head and extend the filter into the footwell,it would then draw still cold air,although it may be a little noisey.
As for the exhaust,just a 180 degree return pipe down the side of the car,onto a stock exhaust,cheers Paul

welderman

posted on 5/2/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good Paul, i see there is no intercooler. Is there no need for one.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

PAUL FISHER

posted on 5/2/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
They say not Joe on a low boost set up,6/8psi,the idea is to get it into the engine as quick as possible,no long runs of alloy pipes to get heat soak on the way too and from the intercooler,less lag,if your running higher boost then a intercooler would need to be fitted to stop detonation,but this is all a learning curve as I go along,and could be a expensive one,we will have to wait and see
welderman

posted on 12/2/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Does the plenum chamber have any internals at all. Or is it just a triangular box?.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

jkarran

posted on 16/2/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Paul,

I have similar concerns over the inlet location and IC air inlet ducts on my Striker, I did think about putting ducts in the lower ally panels like I've seen on some turbo BECs but I figured they'd rapidly fill with stones and muck. Living in the country it's hard enough to keep mud and general B road detritus out of the cockpit!

I think I'd opt for the noisier footwell solution so long as it leaves space for feet! I would however box it in, if your turbo blows your passengers feet would get blowtorched

I'm bringing the SC inlet up and am going to form an airbox between scuttle and bonnet, it will draw air from the trailing edge of the bonnet, not ideal as it's a low pressure region and will be noisey, but at least its cold air and it couldn't get much noisier anyway! Best compromise on mine I think. Could you do something similar?

jk

[Edited on 16/2/07 by jkarran]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.