Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Book Front Shock Lengths? Confused need HELP!!
gulf zxr

posted on 6/1/07 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Book Front Shock Lengths? Confused need HELP!!

Completed my book chassis, except for the front brackets for the bones and top mount for the shock. I phoned a supplier of the Gaz shocks and was going to order the set of shocks and they asked what size I wanted? All the bones and chassis are book so I assumed the shock length would be known. I told then the length was approx 11 1/2 to 12" but they said this did not sound right! Can anyone advise if this sounds about right for a book chassis - build now stopped!!! - thanks Gulf zxr
Avoneer

posted on 6/1/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Tack on the top mount for the shock (on the underside of the top chassis tube).

Tack on the bottom mount for the shock (as close to the lower ball joint as you can get it).

Drop the lower bone, upper bone and upright as far as they will all go together and measure the distance from centre of the bolt hole on the upper shock bracket to the centre of the bolt hole on the lower shock bracket.

Raise the lower bone, upper bone and upright as far as they will all go together and measure this distance.

Post your results on here and we can all ponder the results.

Hope that helps,

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gulf zxr

posted on 6/1/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for reply, I will try this and get back with the results.
Avoneer

posted on 8/1/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, also need the measurement from the centre of the hole on the top shocker mount to the centre of the hole on the bottom shock mount when the lower wishbone is horizontal to the ground as this is the length you wnat the shocks to sit at when the car is on all fours.

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/1/07 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you have room and as you haven't yet chosen the shocks, you might want to consider putting the top mount on the side of the chassis rail rather than underneath as it gives you a better shock angle (more upright).

The only things you need to be careful of is clearance of the shock on the inside of the top wishbone, and obviously if you're planning on going racing, doing this would make the chassis "non book" so not eligible.

Like this:

Top hose plumbing
Top hose plumbing

[Edited on 8/1/07 by ChrisGamlin]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.