Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding R1 exhaust can...
Winston Todge

posted on 6/12/06 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Welding R1 exhaust can...

I've got a Titanium R1 exhaust can, the one with the small CAT in it...

I need to weld a 90 degree bend on the end and a reducer to fit on the end of my manifold.

I have seen a few people that have welded these and was curious if they had to get special rods to weld the titanium? I'm not sure if both ends are titanium alloys or not?

Also where can I get some rolled end 90 degree stainless bends?

Thanks,

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 6/12/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winston Todge

Also where can I get some rolled end 90 degree stainless bends?

MNR

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 6/12/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Aren't the end caps ally or stainless?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Andy W

posted on 6/12/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget you'll need a rolled end for S.V.A. If you're trying to weld stainless tube to adapt the inlet it will probably just crack as it cools. You might get the bend to weld to the outlet if you're lucky. I had a go with stainless rods, titanium and mild steel and purging the can but it still cracked as it cooled.

Andy

Andy W

posted on 6/12/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yamaha did a proper job on their titanium cans

Andy

Bob C

posted on 6/12/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
on mine:
the outside end caps are some kind of ally alloy.
The inside end cap & short pipe on the exhaust end are some kind of stainless.
I cut off the outer on the exhaust end & welded on a stainless 90degree bend. For the radiused end I welded on a stainless ring of 6mm diam bar.
looks OK & SVA friendly.
I'll post a pic in a wee while
Bob
PS it's true, there IS plenty of titanium around on these - input pipe & (I think) outer cover. Spent several minutes with the grinder showing folk the lovely white sparks!
[Edited on 6/12/06 by Bob C]

[Edited on 6/12/06 by Bob C]

Bob C

posted on 6/12/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
one photo.... Rescued attachment exhaust.jpg
Rescued attachment exhaust.jpg

zetec7

posted on 7/12/06 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I, too, have a Yamaha R-1 can (identical to the one in the photo) for my Zetec- engined Locost. Does anyone know of a link to information about the catalytic converters in these cans? I've found vague references to it, but nothing concrete enough to, asy, satisfy local inspectors that there IS a 'cat on my car...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

posted on 7/12/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I'm afraid Ti only welds to Ti, using Ti filler wire.

Sorry if that's bad news to anyone.

Paul G

Wadders

posted on 7/12/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
98-99 R1 Carbon cans are ally under the carbon cover, well mine was anyhow.

Originally posted by CaLviNx
Hi

you will most likely find that your titanium can is just a cover and the rest of the can is mild steel.

If you drill out the rivets on the end cap and take it off you might see if its a mild steel can underneath like my R1 can is under its carbon fibre cover,

[Edited on 7/12/06 by Wadders]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/12/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the carbon sleeved cans are all ally, the blue anodised looking ones are the ones with ti bits inside, but Im not sure if they vary from year to year with regards to ti in/out/both.

As to Zetec7's question, there are cats in the later titanium cans (not sure which year) but they are very open / free flowing and very small in comparison to a car catalyst. They don't seem sufficient to get a bike engine through the (more stringent than bike level) SVA / MOT emissions tests for a cat equipped car, so there's very little chance it will be any better on a Zetec unfortunately.

zetec7

posted on 8/12/06 at 03:29 AM Reply With Quote
Oh well...we don't have emissions testing here, but if I'm asked about a 'cat, at least I can say there IS one there...

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.