Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailer advice
GavBurns

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Trailer advice

My locoblade is for track use only, when i take it out for the day i have to hire a trailer at £45 per day. I need a trailer but it has to be not much bigger than the car i.e the trailer bed should be over the trailers wheels. Has anybody come across such a trailer or will it have to be built?
Thanks

mookaloid

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
doesn't sound all that stable to me.

Is this so it will go in the garage?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

GavBurns

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i want to keep the car on the trailer in the garage.
Do you think it will be too unstable?

GavBurns

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
This grubby looking trailer is similar to what i mean. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ifor-williams-type-trailer-car-transporter-beavertail_W0QQitemZ300051960994QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11752QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ebay link

graememk

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
i sold a trailer like that to "keets" and gave him a free locost
he might still have it, i used to tow my mk on it at 70+ no probs behind a 4x4 vectra

pjavon

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Built this one myself, it will just about fit through a 7 Ft garage door, very handy for track days as i load up the night before and then just hitch up in the morning and off we go, definatly worth doing if you've got the space

TRAILER
TRAILER

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

GavBurns

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the sort of thing i mean, did you make it or buy it?
cossiebri

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
trailer

Ask JoelP, he borrowed a trailer from one of the guys on this site when he delivered my car. small,lightweight made of angle i think wouldn't mind it myself
Avoneer

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
And mine should be finished early in the new year. Very lightweight and available for hire from Dewsbury.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GavBurns

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
If I was to build a trailer would this kit be adequate or would I need a more heavy duty kit? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/All-parts-to-build-a-new-750kg-trailer-10-wheels-TK071_W0QQitemZ300053104244QQihZ020QQcategoryZ36632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
pjavon

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
made it myself, 40 x 40 x 6 angle with 25mm angle upside down for runners. used an inverted channel for the axle so the suspension units could bolt inside to keep it as low as poss.
Haven't got many pics of it but if you need some let me know as the trailer is kept in the yard at work so will have to take my camera to work.
Very easy to make but proberly cost me as much as buying a second hand one, but as i said this will fit in my garage so worth the effort
Any help let me know

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

pjavon

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
much heavier than that as the trailer should be braked and really the indespension units could do with being rated at about 1200Kg.
Don't forget they have to carry the weight of the car and the overall weight of the trailer itself plus your fuel and whatever else you put on the trailer( maybe spare set of wheels etc?)

GavBurns

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Its certainly a nice looking trailer. Do you think a 750kg wheel and hub kit will be adequate?

You answered my question while i was sending this.
Cheers

[Edited on 27/11/06 by GavBurns]

pjavon

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
no problem, i see you,ve got a BEC so could maybe go a bit lighter but if you want it legal i wouldn't go to light it's surprising what you end up shoving on them

hillbillyracer

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just an idea this, if all it's ever gonna carry is your seven how about making it so the trailer bed "fits" the bottom of the seven chassis? Working out a method of getting it on & off will be the hard bit but if your car is light enough you may just get under the 750kg limit below which you dont need brakes on the trailer, providing your tow vehicle is above a certain percentage of the towed weight.
I used 2 pairs of 750kg suspension units to make my 4 wheeled transporter so I knew they were well up to the job as it gets used for all sorts, it tows great loaded but bounces a lot when empty.

Steve Morten

posted on 27/11/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Don't mess about just go to Brian James and buy a Minno, they are made to fit in a single garage and they are made well, tow well and you won't have any bother with the Law.
Or you could always go on ebay for one they usually go for about £800- upwards. I know it seems a lot but when you come to sell it you won't lose much.

Bob C

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
weight limit for an unbraked trailer is 750kg or half the weight of the tow vehicle, pick the smaller. So your unlikely to be legal or safe...
However that's exactly what I'm doing - I've designed a trailer that juts fits the (440kg) locost, stressed for 2G & weighs 100kg so it should be OK so long as I stick everything else in the tow car.
Watch out though, the weights on these things builds up surprisingly quickly & you really don't want the trailer to take over the controls!!!
Bob

JoelP

posted on 28/11/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Well, IMHO 750kgs is an easy target even for a car engined locost. I would build single axle unbraked. If you use a big vehicle to tow it you will be fine. That ebay kit looks good value but there are a few bits you might not need - i would use a light board rather than seperate lights.
mike smith1

posted on 28/11/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pjavon
Built this one myself, it will just about fit through a 7 Ft garage door, very handy for track days as i load up the night before and then just hitch up in the morning and off we go, definatly worth doing if you've got the space

TRAILER
TRAILER

That is one impressive trailer, Mike

Peteff

posted on 28/11/06 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Ifor Williams type on ebay

That's a farm trailer and the tyres and wheel bearings on it are designed to carry bales and pigs behind a tractor or Land Rover under 30mph. I have 750kg units on my 3x4 trailer for taking rubbish to the tip and fetching buiding materials. You should be looking at 1000kg braked units or a 4 wheel setup but it's going to be costly to make unless you need a custom setup. The 750kg includes the trailer body not just the load in it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

GavBurns

posted on 28/11/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
The vehicle i will be using to pull it is a mercedes sprinter 311cdi.
russbost

posted on 28/11/06 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a plant trailer off ebay needing a bit of tidying up for £285, that was for a 4 wheel unit which originally had brakes on mini wheels, the bed is 6' 2" wide which just takes the car a treat, the wheels sit outside the trailer bed so the whole thing is about 7' 6" wide. The advantage to having the wheels outside the bed is obviously that you haven't got to go "up & over" - depends on the width of your garage door whether this would work for you?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Shandylegs

posted on 28/11/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Locost route of Caravan chassis with the ramps built over the wheels?

Not exactly lightweight or beautiful but you're at least starting with a braking system already installed and will definately fit in a garage.

GavBurns

posted on 28/11/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm That could be done I suppose. Wouldn't look too bad with ramps and runners.

[Edited on 28/11/06 by GavBurns]

Go BEC you'll never look back (literally)!!

rjbrookes

posted on 28/11/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
i had mine custom made by handford trailers, just south of stoke on the a34.

They can make what ever size you want! i had mine so it could fit in a single garage, twin axel so it is rated to 2.5 tons and it can take a rover 600 too.... it came with totally every thing and i paid £1550....which i think is a bargin considering it not just a seven size trailer.

good luck

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.