Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone used a ZZR1100
wildchild

posted on 28/10/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone used a ZZR1100

Having looked around at various engines, I've noticed I could probably buy a ZZR11 complete bike for about half the price of a blade engine, plus anything I could make back from ebaying the leftover bits.

So has anyone used this engine in a seven type car? Any comments?

D

Hellfire

posted on 28/10/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Really - I'll have one too - the bike not the engine!

Depends where you source the bits... MK have done a couple of turnkey ZZR's looked well, but don't know where they went. Correctly mounting the engine is a bit of a pain but at lreast it's the right way around

Good luck - oh and "Hi!"

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 28/10/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildchild
Having looked around at various engines, I've noticed I could probably buy a ZZR11 complete bike for about half the price of a blade engine, plus anything I could make back from ebaying the leftover bits.

So has anyone used this engine in a seven type car? Any comments?

D

me me me !

currently building mine!

Guinness, another member is at sva stage with his zzr powered mk indy

If you are lucky, like me, the bike you buy will have lots of trick parts to sell on ebay. My engine stands me at 120 quid after all i made on ebay!!!

ZZR has gear ratios very well suited to a car, and a good dose of power

Guinness

posted on 29/10/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
That would be me then! Welcome to the madhouse Wildchild! First off it's not going to cost you £250!

I got my engine complete of Colibriman, for a canny bit less than an R1 or a Blade would set you back. As you say the alternative is to get a whole bike, as Ashley has done.

Installation wise it is as easy as any other engine, with the exception that the following items will have to be custom made:-

Exhaust Manifold, sproket adaptor, engine cradle. Most of the kit manufacturers have templates for the well used bikes, R1, Blade etc, but you have to take engine to the chassis builder, the completed car to the exhaust place etc etc. (God wouldn't it be easier if I just learnt to weld!!)

Anyway as Ashley says, because the ZZR1100 is less of an out and our sports bike and more of a grand tourer thing, it has a longer / taller top gear meaning you can use a standard or lsd 3.62 sierra diff and still be geared for 127mph in top.

Here's a photo of my installation completed:-

ZZR 1100 C
ZZR 1100 C

Let me know if you do decide to go this route and I'll happily offer any advice I can.

Cheers Mike

smart51

posted on 29/10/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly bought a ZZR1100 until I realised that it was 16 years old. My 8 year old R1 is a spring chicken in comparison. Still, it's a nice engine with what I consider to be great gearbox ratios. the first few gears are great for sprinting and can take you to 100 MPH with the right diff and wheels. The gears are a bit more spread out and so top is (a little) taller than on most BECs so you can drive to a track day and not be deaf / worn out / sick of it by the time you get there.
wildchild

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was exaggerating a bit when I said 'half the price' but from looking around there seems to be an instant premium on blade engines because so many people are after them for cars.

I'm building from scratch rather than a kit, so in terms of the installation it doesn't make much difference to me what the engine is - having made a chassis, doing an engine cradle doesn't really faze me.

Thanks for all the info and the welcome. I'm sure having found this site I'll be revisiting regularly as the build progresses.

Dave

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
look for crash damaged complete bikes! As long as no engine damage and it runs, then no prbs! Mine was a stolen recovery, with only lock damage till the recovery company lost it of the back of their wagon! pmsl then became write off!

£420 i paid for whole running bike! made £300 back selling bits on ebay

I was lucky cos the owner had spent lots on trick bits, s/s brake lines, good tyres, exhaust ect

Happy hunting

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 31/10/05 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
BTW wildchild!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=33647

If your interested!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.