Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 'Blade cradle
andrew.carwithen

posted on 6/5/05 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
'Blade cradle

As can be seen from photo I'm in middle of making a cradle for my Avon. I've essentially finished the top frame but was wondering what is the best way to pick up the lower engine mounting?
Should I make a similar size H- frame and fix under lower chassis rails or can I get away with a strut (made from same 1" square tubing) either side of the engine mount welded to the lower side rail? (would be much lighter but would they be strong enough?)
What have others done?
(if it helps, I'm also going to fit an electric reverse and will need some way of mounting it.)

Andy. Rescued attachment Cradle PICT0004.JPG .jpg
Rescued attachment Cradle PICT0004.JPG .jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 6/5/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
pic of lower engine mount in question.

Andy. Rescued attachment Cradle PICT0002.JPG
Rescued attachment Cradle PICT0002.JPG

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/5/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at a Stuart Taylor cradle, its slightly beefier than yours (2"x1" box) but that has no lower engine mounts at all, so I wouldnt think you need much to be honest.
If I were you Id first look into how to fit the electric reverse, then put in a couple of bars off the bottom chassis rail to possibly help mount the electric reverse and tie into the bottom engine mounts just to prevent the engine trying to twist too much

jambojeef

posted on 9/5/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would feel inclined to use the lower mounts but what I did was run a tube parallel to the engine mounts at the lower chassis rail level.

You can then make a couple of little plates to extend up to the mounts!

Does that make sense without a picture???!!

Geoff

Peteff

posted on 9/5/05 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's a zx9

similar setup though.I ran the back stays down behind the engine and mounted the brackets off them, then bolted the bars to the bottom chassis member. Rescued attachment cradle2.jpg
Rescued attachment cradle2.jpg

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 11/6/05 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guys,
I've finally finished the engine cradle and the engine is now bolted in position (s'only taken a month!! )
As can be seen in photo I took your advice and welded in a lower H-frame to pick up the bottom engine mounts.
Its a nice feeling to finally have the engine in- now all I've got to do is get it plumbed and wired, gear change sorted out, install a prop and finish off mounting the electric reverse!
Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Andy. Rescued attachment engine finally bolted in position.jpg
Rescued attachment engine finally bolted in position.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.