Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will this type of differential work? Chain Drive
sgraber

posted on 22/11/04 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
Will this type of differential work? Chain Drive

I'm doing research for my upcoming inline twin 600cc engine chain drive middy. Currently trying to find a source for inexpensive Torsen Differential. The Audi center diffs seem hard to come by and quite expensive.

Apparently the Chevrolet Camaro SS (live axle) came with a Texel-Torsen for a number of years. They are suprisingly inexpensive. A new one is less than $100... They hold quite a bit of power.

See image below - Can this type of unit be adapted for use with a sprocket? And subsequently placed into a carrier to accept a pair of cv joints?

If so, how would you go about doing it? Would you grease it or oil bathe it? How does it seal into a casing?

Thanks for your help I am no machinist so I can't tell if the idea is sound.

Graber

[Edited on 11/22/04 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 22/11/04 at 04:18 AM Reply With Quote
sgraber and I have already chatted about this off-forum, but for the rest of you, here's a pic of a modified Torsen diff from an Audi Quattro, set up for a bike-engined car. It sits in two ecentrically mounted bearings for easy chain adjustment. Rescued attachment Rorty_Torsen01.jpg
Rescued attachment Rorty_Torsen01.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sgraber

posted on 22/11/04 at 04:38 AM Reply With Quote
that's a thing of beauty.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

JoelP

posted on 22/11/04 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
inboard brake too... damn nice.

chrisf

posted on 22/11/04 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
FSAE

Steve:

Have a chat with the U of A FSAE team. When I was in college, I got a gig doing a custom Java application for a bicycle store. The owner of the business, a professor and I worked out a program where I received credit hours for my work--the work I was already doing and getting paid for. You may be able to work with an engineering student to help you design your diff (they probably already have one designed). Alternatively, many teams are switching to the Taylor-type diff. This means they have a lot of these things laying around the shop. Perhaps a bit of beer will purchase one.

I donate a bit each year to my FSAE team. You would be surprised at the amount of friendliness this will buy.

--Chris

ceebmoj

posted on 22/11/04 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
hi do you have a pick of the ecentrically mounted berings?
Rorty

posted on 23/11/04 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
hi do you have a pick of the ecentrically mounted berings?

The bearings themselves aren't ecentric, they simply sit within a ring whose bore is off-centre to its OD. The ring + bearing then sits in a normal split clamp and the bearing ring can then be turned with a pin-spanner to adjust the chain.
Not sure if I have a close-up pic that shows the detail you want. I'll have a look and if I find one I'll post it here.

Cheers, Rorty.

Sven

posted on 23/11/04 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty, this is very interesting to me. I think this is a very viable option for a mid bike engined car while keeping the motor transverse. I have been trying to research a more cost effective option than a Taylor or Quaife differential and looked at a few options including changing the orientation of the motor. As much detail as you're willing to share with us would be very appreciated.

-Steve

tigris

posted on 23/11/04 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
found this

some more info on the fsae setup, custom housing is needed, etc, but easier to do than the camaro unit because there are a few people who have done it thus far. Rorty did you machine that yourself? NICE
type r1

posted on 23/11/04 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
why can't you have the 2 engines transverse, like in the bike, and next to each other and use a chain from each engine to drive a single rear wheel each. almost like having 2 bike rear ends next to each other at the back of the car. then you don't need the extra gearing to join the 2 power outputs and you have almost zero transmission loss because you're not using a diff.
what do you think?

dom.

Rorty

posted on 23/11/04 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tigris
Rorty did you machine that yourself? NICE

A customer with an existing hillclimb car asked me to design a Torsen drive centre to hook up to a bike engine and that's the result.
I have designed and built quite a few other Torsen set-ups and many other configurations including a custom transaxle that replaces the LH side case of a Busa engine (in-line), and also some more basic drive centres using mainly Fiesta ATB diffs etc.

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 23/11/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sven
I have been trying to research a more cost effective option than a Taylor or Quaife differential ...

The Taylor diff is widely used in circuit racing and works well. It's bulky and heavy though and the turnbuckle mode of adjustment is fairly antiquated.
The Quaiffe unit has a good reputation too, so there are alternatives out there, but not everyone can afford them.

Cheers, Rorty.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.