Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Radiator, what and where?
stevio73

posted on 15/9/13 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
Radiator, what and where?

Hi guys,
I know I've got plenty to be getting on with, gear linkage, fuel tank, floor, and now made in roads into a cage as well.
But, I'm still gathering the essentials as and when they come up at the right price.

What radiator is the common used solution in the Haynes roadster and is it normal to fit in front of the chassis or try and fit inside between the rear mounts of the front wishbones? How do you get around the steering column if that's the prescribed way? (My preference would be to go inside as it would make connections easier, but tricky with the column)

Have seen the VW polo rad on fleabay, but their measurements are for core only. How big are the end caps? Then, do you block the gap from edge of rad to body so that air flow has got to go through rad? (Again this would be my preference, but am I just making work?)

The vision is starting to become a reality, but all the little niggles and loose ends that tie things together need addressing now to stop the final product looking like a whole bunch of afterthoughts tied together. "Half cocked" as my Dad would say.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/9/13 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
1L polo rad will fit inside the nosecone fine. If you look at some of the auctions they do tell you the total size too.

Mines mounted to the front of the chassis

I plan to block the airflow around the radiator but ill wait till my engine and radiator change.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

big-vee-twin

posted on 15/9/13 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I've used a Seat Leon radiator which fits snug under the nose cone.

I got mine from a rad company on the net that listed all the dimensions for all of their rads, think they were in Leeds.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

stevio73

posted on 15/9/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
How did you get on with hose connections if the rad is in front of chassis? Then because I'm running the zzr1100 lump I've got the oil cooler to think about? From what I've squinted at I'm not sure my nose cone is long enough?

I'm sure I'll make it all fit, but I'm just trying to gauge where others have fitted things and take a bunch of head scratching out of the equation.

Karl H

posted on 15/9/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I just fitted a oil cooler to my Indy and uploaded some pics to my photo archive. I found that sealing around the rad made a massive difference to the temperatures on my last track day.
40inches

posted on 15/9/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I used a Clio rad, could have been made for the car
Description
Description

ste

posted on 15/9/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Description
Description

Can you let us know what clio that rad is off please.

Also, I have found www.carparts4less.co.uk to be cheaper than ebay for most rads I've looked at.
They are a sister company to eurocarparts

40inches

posted on 15/9/13 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Description
Description

Can you let us know what clio that rad is off please.

Also, I have found www.carparts4less.co.uk to be cheaper than ebay for most rads I've looked at.
They are a sister company to eurocarparts

It's this one. You should find one for around £30.
With regards the link I posted, they are the only company I have found that still charge you the postal charge if you collect in person

[Edited on 15-9-13 by 40inches]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.