Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Airbox re-fitted
Guinness

posted on 16/5/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Airbox re-fitted

I've just taken off the sausage filter and refitted my airbox.

The inlet points back towards the bulkhead / scuttle.

Does the panel think that will be OK as is?

Airbox
Airbox

I know I should duct some air to it, but the Indy bonnet has a big old scoop on the top of it, so I'm hoping that the air that is taken in there, will dilute the warm air that comes through the rad and off the engine itself.

I'm also guessing that this should be a high pressure area, as I don't have any vents at the back of the bonnet.

I can't point it forward as it would mean big slices out of the bonnet and nosecone.

Mike

Humbug

posted on 16/5/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is like this with the air filter at the back of the engine. I have a scoop over the top pf the highest part of the engine and exit vents at the rear sides of the bonnet. I've never noticed any problem...
BenB

posted on 16/5/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, mine's the same. I reckon more than enough cool air will get slammed down the bulge hole to keep things cool....
Andybarbet

posted on 17/5/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mike,
What is your airbox from ?? looks like just the sort of thing i need for my throttle body conversion.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

jeffw

posted on 18/5/10 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
Any reason you don't want to turn your Piper PX600 airbox round the other way so it is facing the airstream ?

Guinness

posted on 18/5/10 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Mike,
What is your airbox from ?? looks like just the sort of thing i need for my throttle body conversion.

It's a Pipercross PX600 Airbox, not cheap but a straight swap, with 3 dzus fastners for the foam sausage, so I can run noisy or quiet.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Any reason you don't want to turn your Piper PX600 airbox round the other way so it is facing the airstream ?

Jeff, unfortunatley it just doesn't fit, without having to cut the front section of the bonnet (beyond the scoop out and part of the nosecone. Then it points down straight at the back of the radiator (which is all shrouded in ally).

Mike

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/5/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I recorded some temperatures using the megasquirt.

Normally on the road (i.e. 15deg days) I get up to about 33deg. I did a trackday Abingdon, 18deg, it went up to 52degC.

I don't have a scoop though. But I do have an air feed now!

If you can measure the temperature of your inlet air you can easily determine if it is a problem or not. Maybe run for a while and then quickly measure the air box temperature (things will have stabilised). It looks neat.

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.