Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What should I be looking for?
200mph

posted on 31/7/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
What should I be looking for?

Having decided to sell up my build parts and facing the prospect of buying a car, I can't deny that the fact I leak body fluids (and I don't mean tears!) when I think of paddle shifters which tells me I should be looking for a BEC.

I'm starting now to look at what my options are, and will have a budget of around £6500. I'm pretty clueless about BECs, but from the top of my head am thinking Indy or MNR are the likely contenders.

I'd be prepared to pay a little extra if I got passed on the track a little less often so might give you an idea of my focus.

What sort of car might I be looking at for the money / is it a realistic budget?

Cheers n beers

Mark

[Edited on 31/7/09 by 200mph]

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

daniel mason

posted on 31/7/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
with that budget you might struggle to find a decent newish mnr! i thought i had done well to find a good spec part built mnr for just over £6,000. am glad i did though.they are superb.and if i was in your position i would try to stretch my budget to mnr Rescued attachment mnrbl.jpg
Rescued attachment mnrbl.jpg

200mph

posted on 31/7/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Daniel - your car is beautiful. I'd be prepared to go a higher for something half as nice as that!

Would £7.5k - £8k be more realistic?

Cheers

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

richardh

posted on 31/7/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
second on the mnr.
mines up on pistonheads but is a little higher than your budget.

MK's are good too to be fair but i just went for MNR on personal recommendation.

Time for a change!

Guinness

posted on 31/7/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
It's a buyers market out there, and there are loads of cars just above the £6.5k budget. A bit of hard negotiation and I'm sure you could pick up a bargain.

That said if you can stretch a bit further to the £7.5 - 8k you'll get more car.

I thought this thread would have been inundated with people saying "buy mine" by now.

I'd be looking for an R1 powered car, with fuel injection if possible. I think you'd be lucky to find an MNR for the budget. Beyond there it's pretty even (IMHO) between the MK, MAC1 etc.

Don't discount a Raw / Striker if you will be spending a lot of time on the track.

Or consider a Fury with the more aerodynamic bodywork, which will give you a higher top speed (on the track officer).

Cheers and good luck.

Mike

franky

posted on 31/7/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
another vote for a fury, better looking(imo) proven race winner and better aerodynamics..... both will help you get passed less on track.
daniel mason

posted on 31/7/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
this mnr is 9k on pistonheads. a bit of hard negotiations could be done to get near your budget. and i dont know the car but would imagine its no slouch!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.