Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who's Building a ZX10R Car?
PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/2/07 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
Does the plenum chamber have any internals at all. Or is it just a triangular box?.

U2U SENT

PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/2/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkarran
Paul,

I have similar concerns over the inlet location and IC air inlet ducts on my Striker, I did think about putting ducts in the lower ally panels like I've seen on some turbo BECs but I figured they'd rapidly fill with stones and muck. Living in the country it's hard enough to keep mud and general B road detritus out of the cockpit!

I think I'd opt for the noisier footwell solution so long as it leaves space for feet! I would however box it in, if your turbo blows your passengers feet would get blowtorched

I'm bringing the SC inlet up and am going to form an airbox between scuttle and bonnet, it will draw air from the trailing edge of the bonnet, not ideal as it's a low pressure region and will be noisey, but at least its cold air and it couldn't get much noisier anyway! Best compromise on mine I think. Could you do something similar?

jk

[Edited on 16/2/07 by jkarran]

I can understand your concerns jk about fire risk bringing it through the bulk head,but it will be mounted behind a alloy foot rest,although I am not expecting turbo failure,the turbo is designed to run at up to 30psi and 400 bhp,so its not going to be too stressed at 6 to 8 psi,I would also think that if it did fail most of the debri,engine bits,fuel and oil would exit the exhaust side,hopefully I won't have to test my theory
I did spot a Dax with a set up like you discribe,are you thinking something like this Rescued attachment IMG_1469-749932.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1469-749932.jpg

birt

posted on 16/2/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
If the turbo you are using is designed for 30 psi, is there not scope for using a smaller one to save weight, it looks quite hefty? Do you knlow the weight of the turbo unit?
PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/2/07 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ive not weighed the turbo on its own birt,but the whole turbo kit weighs only 9kgs!!,and that included the box it came in,so I suppose a smaller turbo could weigh a kg less,as most of it alloy it is very light anyway.also you have still got scope for engine modifications in the future and turn up the boost
welderman

posted on 16/2/07 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just could not help myself, this it part of todays welding session.. Rescued attachment v.jpg
Rescued attachment v.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

welderman

posted on 17/2/07 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yup Chris, going to have a go, sold the mini on Monday so decided to take the plunge and go for boost. pictures now in archive and all comments good or bad welcome from fellow builders. Bt the way ive asked Mr Fisher wether its a problem the turbo being so flose to the blade engine see picture (8mm close).
JoeImage deleted by owner

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

welderman

posted on 17/2/07 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ah good thinking there, i knew this forum would come in handy, see the sprint is coming on too.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/2/07 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Should not be a problem mounted close to the engine Joe,the instructions for the kit Ive got tells you to mount it as close to the block as possible,you can ajust this distance on mine by tightening the top set,or bottom set of header studs first.
welderman

posted on 17/2/07 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a weight from my mind now, after fabing up the headers today i though i was gong for a cut and shut, how did your close ups go.(ooh er)

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/2/07 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I will take some close up's in the morning and post them in my archive of the oil feed,and return,by the way your turbo looks bigger than mine
Also with the compressor being on the front of the engine now,it should make the job of a link pipe up to your plenum easy,or are you going for a intercooler

welderman

posted on 17/2/07 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I will take some close up's in the morning and post them in my archive of the oil feed,and return,by the way your turbo looks bigger than mine
Also with the compressor being on the front of the engine now,it should make the job of a link pipe up to your plenum easy,or are you going for a intercooler

sorry.

I have purchased an inter-cooler but as yet not sure im going to fit it. I could always fit it later.
Should get good air to the turbo too and as for the plenum, yes should be straight forward, But ive been told i need to block some holes up in the boddies, ?.?. Aint sure which ones, i though that if i pressurise the cmplete set of boddies that would be ok, then a buypass to the flost chambers.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

birt

posted on 19/2/07 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
Paul, can the velocity kit be setup with the compressor pointing forward like welderman's? This would make it easier to feed with air via ducting from the front and also make it easier to route the exhaust off the turbine (ie no need for an 180 deg u bend)? It looks like it might be a clearance issue with the lower chassis rail though.

Have you found that the engine has to sit higher relative to the chassis to make room for the turbo or is it where it would be if there were no turbo fitted?

Marc

PAUL FISHER

posted on 19/2/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ive not tried it the other way round Marc,don't see any major reason why it could not be adapted to fit,it would need some major re-routing of the compressor side though as I think it would then be very close to the block under the headers .aIthough I can't see a problem with a 180 degree bend in the exhaust,or the routing of the induction straight through the bulkhead.Most other kits have this standard configuration
The engine was positioned and fitted before I got the turbo kit,so height wise its in the "normal" position,I did move it across to the o/s a extra 2" to give clearance for the turbo on the n/s,it was all gess work,it just so happened the turbo fitted ok Rescued attachment IMG_1469-749932.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_1469-749932.jpg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.