Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharged R1 management
clutch_kick

posted on 7/2/07 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
no I doubt that i could use the stock MAP sensor. That would be a 1Bar sensor, I would require a 2 Bar sensor which would be fine up to about 14psi, Although to keep costs reasonable I guess i would stick to about 10 psi only.
clutch_kick

posted on 7/2/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkarran
I'm planning a welded ally plenum that will also be the top tank of an integrated intercooler. I've made all the bits but I'm still psyching myself up to buy a tig setup to put it together That all sits on the standard throttle bodies, the only mod I plan to them is connecting the flat slide diaphragms to manifold pressure.

Check out the photos I linked to on pg 1 for a better idea how I'm plumbing it.

jk

If there is one big advice i can give you is to avoid an intercooler over the engine, stick it somewhere in the nose, it's worth all the extra work and hassle. I know what i'm on about, toyota have a bad habbit of sticking intercoolers on engines (GT4 and Glanza)

jkarran

posted on 7/2/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If there is one big advice i can give you is to avoid an intercooler over the engine, stick it somewhere in the nose, it's worth all the extra work and hassle. I know what i'm on about, toyota have a bad habbit of sticking intercoolers on engines (GT4 and Glanza)

Cheers for the tip... it was very much my first thought too but I've opted for the 'over engine approach for a few of reasons, it is however a compromise and I do keep looking at it and thinking 'maybe I should do it differently...'.

The reasoning is thus: Where it is, over the gearbox I can duct a lot of cold air from the nose (seperate from warm radiator air) and bonnet NACA ducts. I also have room for a shield between it and the 'box. There's room for a fan. Surplus IC heat will go out down the transmission tunnel & bonnet vents rather than through what will be a hard pushed standard R1 rad and around my engine. The striker also has inboard shocks and a narrow nosecone already very full of ducting. Other less convincing arguments are that I had an IC core that fits there but not in the nose

The downsides are that it will enevitibly be heavier and more complex with a fan and sheet ally ducts fron the nose. It will enevitibly pick up some heat from the engine and rad. It will perhaps be prone to embrittlement as it wont be very well mechanically isolated from engine vibration. The ICs hot air will also flow right around the inlet pipe (but not the filter which will be fenced off and breath through yet another bonnet vent!).

Does this address your concerns or am I being unrealistic about what can be achieved?

jk

Tralfaz

posted on 8/2/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you can duct fresh air to the intercooler effectively as you describe, I think it may be a better idea as you will likely have signifigantly lower 'Throttled Volume ' in your system.

Brian

clutch_kick

posted on 8/2/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
The whole explanation sounds ok, but it also sounds a bit too over-complicated, keeping in mind that you could do it in a much simpler way. From the looks of it you will need forward speed to get the air to flow over the I/C or use a Fan(more weight and drain on the Electrics).

It is all down to personal preference, from my past experiences ... I would do what ever is possible, to get that IC away from the engine. When you're stopped idling in traffic ... it very quickly becomes an interwarmer. Then you will need a LOT of fresh air to cool it off again.

If you do go for the Over engine design ... ditch the fan, and install a Water Injection Unit. That alone drops the intake temps by a good 18degC.

clutch_kick

posted on 8/2/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
This would be a simple diagram to show the layout for the W/I. I have bought parts off this company and they are very good. http://www.coolingmist.com/ Rescued attachment waterinjection.JPG
Rescued attachment waterinjection.JPG

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.