Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: the right way round
robertwa

posted on 30/6/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve,
I might look into it. The miget/funny car crowd do all sorts of diff ratios and stuff for the toyota rear axle so maybe they have something suitable to allow for the drive spinning the other way....
Probably a hard engine to find though
Rob

robertwa

posted on 15/7/05 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Spoke to someone the other day about running a diff the other way. As it turns out, people get confused. The whole axle is flipped over. The gears still turn against the preferred side, not the coast side. I tried it with beer bottle tops!
The only problem is the pinion is higher up and out of the oil. I don't think it is a problem, what with oil getting sloshed around everywhere. Thats my theory anyway....

Rob

sgraber

posted on 15/7/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
You are comparing apples to oranges. In the situation you describe, the input shaft is still spinning the right way so indeed the drive is against the correct side. You flip the diff upside down and the wheels will turn in the opposite direction. But in the case of the reverse rotation engines the input is already spinning bacwards... The diff needs to spin backwards AND upside down!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.