Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is it easy to swap to bec??
boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
how do you mean???

another iva?????

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
No just change of engine & lower cc.
boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
ok....im asuming that they come out and make sure it is a 900cc lump in there???

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
nope - up to you to submit info in support of the change. Couple of pics and/or letter from local garage (engineers report in DVLA speak) should suffice.
cheers D

boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
can you do your own report or does it need to be independent??

u2u me for details

iank

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
can you do your own report or does it need to be independent??

Documentation required is here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054
As with all things DVLA they can try to make it up additional requirements on the spot if they don't really know their own rules.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
when i changed the rush engine the dvla accepted a receipt for the engine as proof - they will then go to the seller and ask him - tracing the engines origins... simple receipt is good even from a private sale
Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
From DVLA site

Change to engine and cylinder capacity (engine size)

DVLA will need written evidence of any changes to engine number and cylinder capacity (cc). Written evidence can be:

a receipt for the replacement engine
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle

boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
ok....that is straight forward enough....

thanks everyone for clearing that up...

so.....

do i look for a ninja engine or a blade engine???

u2u me for details

Davg

posted on 3/4/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
you have u2u
boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
replied

u2u me for details

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/4/10 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know much of the kwak lump, but my blade engine has been great.

Andy bates who has been doing this for years rates the older blades. And he knows his onions.

One thing to be aware if is chassis rails, my car had to have a cross member of the chassis cut and refabricated to fit becuase of the headers.

Don't forget about the engine cradle and gear change mechanism, neither of which I costed in my earlier email.

Buying a package isn't a bad idea, as you KNOW it all works together. There is always a danger when buying things seperatly that it won't all be compatible.

You might also need to weld in a centre bearing mount in the tunnel.

You don't need to go on a diet. Neither me or steve hignett are anorexic and his car was plenty rapid enough when two up. Though it has to be said that weight does impact on performance. One up is a bit quicker.

TimC

posted on 3/4/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
For £600 you should look at a zx9 or a CBR1000F - these are cheap as chips, make Blade+ power but are about 15kgs heavier all up.

boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
i have a very limited knowledge of bikes..is the first one a ninja??

u2u me for details

TimC

posted on 3/4/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i have a very limited knowledge of bikes..is the first one a ninja??

It is. Here's what the CBR1000 looked like in my first kit car:

Check the 'pre completion' section of my archive for more.

boggle

posted on 3/4/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
do you need to rev the hell out of them to move or do they pull from low down??

my driving roads consist mainly of very twisty winding roads....not many long straights...

i like the little amount of space it uses, how much does a zx9 lump weigh??

cheers

barry

u2u me for details

ReMan

posted on 3/4/10 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
You need to get the answer to this yourself, with a ride in one.
Else you will get vaying answres from both camps.

first ride and I was sold even though I knew it was what I wanted, it just confirmed it.
Since I built it's always perfomed better than I thought it would

Just do it

boggle

posted on 4/4/10 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
i went out in a bec and a cec today.....

u2u me for details

TimC

posted on 4/4/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
And....?

Its not a terribly common installation but the CBR1000F is a good budget road car motor. More torque than a 'Blade, no sump mods required.

Dangle_kt

posted on 4/4/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Corrr! at least let us know how you found it! You've had the benefit of our opinion, I'd personally really like to hear your on how you found it.
boggle

posted on 4/4/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
well...

my 1st run out was in a R1 powered Fisher Fury. my first impressions were poo this thing is lively!! lack of traction and constant driver imput were apparent from the off, this was the first thing that appealed to me!
Acceleration to 70mph was very quick but the fact that the engine sounds like its screaming its nuts off at 70 was a bit strange, but i suppose if you are used to riding high powered bikes this is the norm?

I also liked the fact that you can change gear without the use of the clutch, but i'm not sure on the paddle change idea.

I was surprised at how well behaved it was at low revs and pulling away...

I came back with a smile on my face...

then i was taken for a spin in another fisher fury with a v6 engine, straight away you can feel the difference in low end power and weight. the car felt a lot more planted and stable at high speeds but i think this could easily lure me into a false sence of security and take that extra feel for granted, the BEC always seemed to be asking for driver feedback.

acceleration wise i could not tell which was quicker, both went like the clappers and both sounded amazing.

i think that for long distance work or regular use or even gentle runs out the CEC would be the way to go however, the BEC appealed to me more because of the constant driver vehicle interaction would suit me more especially as i dont intend to drive like miss daisy and will be using the car for some competition use..

Looks like its gonna be a BEC for me in the locost. However, my wife and i have decided that the next build will be a fisher fury with a car engine, possibly a rover v8.

Cheers for all your comments and advice.

both cars were amazing and its taken me a good few hours to finally decide what i want to do......cheers to both people for your rides out, claire too and the other chap whos name i have forgotten...

Barry

[Edited on 4/4/10 by boggle]

u2u me for details

jimgiblett

posted on 4/4/10 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
T'was a pleasure Barry.

If you need any info on an R1 install give me a shout.

If I was to have a non BEC I would probably go S2000. High reving but still lots of grunt. If only it had a sequential box it truly would be the best of both worlds.

Cheers

Jim

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/4/10 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looks like its gonna be a BEC for me in the locost.

Barry
[Edited on 4/4/10 by boggle]

adithorp

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
"... lack of traction and constant driver imput..."
I instantly recognised that as Jims, "try and scare the bejesus out of them" demo' driving style.

I take it the V6 was Clairs car?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

boggle

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
yes the v6 was claires....

strangely i didnt feel scared in either cars.....

both cars had good drivers

u2u me for details

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.