Board logo

Filling an R1 with oil?
lsdweb - 23/4/08 at 08:16 AM

Hi guys

I'm about to put the oil in my 5VY but access to the filler cap is a bit tricky because I have a chassis rail in the way.

Can I fill the engine via the breather by removing the cover?

Wyn

The Great Fandango - 23/4/08 at 08:30 AM

Although my engine cradle isn't too close to the filler, I still tend to use a nice big filler funnel with a length of flexible plastic tubing.

Would this be a viable option for youself?

What oil you using?

Guinness - 23/4/08 at 08:50 AM

I'll second using a funnel and a length of pipe.

Up until last month, I just used the funnel, but when I fitted the airbox I realised I could no longer get the funnel in the hole! Five minutes later I had a 6" length of poly pipe cut to size, de-burred and sika'd to my funnel!

HTH

Mike

nitram38 - 23/4/08 at 08:55 AM

Any pics Wyn? I can't see how your oil filler is obstructed so I can't give you any ideas. Is it you just can't get the oil can in?
Couldn't you get the oil filler extended by threading some tube ?

smart51 - 23/4/08 at 11:07 AM

My 4XV engine has a breather on top of the gearbox. Does your engine have one? Perhaps you could use that with a funnel.

lsdweb - 23/4/08 at 12:07 PM

Sorry Guys - a photo would explain so much! I've got a chassis member that sits almost on top of the filler cap - it's removable but a pain to remove now as all the loom etc is clipped to it.

There's an old photo here (I must learn how to insert pictures in posts!) but it's not very clear.

I'll take another one when I get home later

Regards
Wyn

[Edited on 23/4/08 by lsdweb]

worX - 23/4/08 at 02:00 PM

chassis in the way
chassis in the way

lsdweb - 23/4/08 at 04:18 PM

A better picture here

[Edited on 23/4/08 by lsdweb]

worX - 23/4/08 at 08:44 PM

5VY yet again
5VY yet again

lsdweb - 25/4/08 at 12:41 PM

Steve - I'll work it out eventually!!!

lsdweb - 25/4/08 at 09:51 PM

Well, I've removed the removable chassis rail but the fixed chassis rail is so close that I can't get the oil cap off! So, the oil's going in through the breather - I took the cover off my spare engine and it's just like a little maze in there - no valve or anything so it should be ok. I've put a litre in slowly and no problems.

Oil pressure tomorrow night hopefully, although my wife's away so I'm looking after our 4 year old son, which I really enjoy but don't tell her!

Wyn

lsdweb - 27/4/08 at 09:06 PM

Sorted - pretty easy really - I just needed to take it slowly.

Got oil pressure and had it running - sort of.

Wyn