Board logo

Fireblade gearbox bearing
ReMan - 6/3/08 at 09:57 PM

As time is short, can anyone advise whether this bearing pulls off the end of the shaft over the sprocket splines, or whether it comes off by taking off all the gears behind it. Just in case I need to procure a tool for the weekend

[Edited on 6/3/08 by ReMan] Rescued attachment gear.jpg
Rescued attachment gear.jpg

Hellfire - 6/3/08 at 10:15 PM

Starting from the other side, remove the end plate and slide off the needle roller bearing.
Remove the thrust washer followed by the 1st gear, needle roller bearing and second thrust washer.
Remove the 5th gear noting which way around it is fitted.
Remove the snap-ring with a suitable pair of pliers
Slide off the splined washer followed by 4th gear and splined bushing
Disengage lock washer from the special splined washer and slide both off the countershaft.
Remove 3rd gear along with it's splined bushing and thrust washer
Remove the second snap-ring and slide off 6th gear
Remove the third snap-ring and slide off the the splined thrust washer followed by the 2nd gear and second gear bushing.

Phil

ReMan - 6/3/08 at 10:33 PM

Cheers Phil
But which way does the bearing come off?

I think you're right, that it goes that way, but it's tight on the shaft now so may still need a beating when those gears are off

ReMan - 6/3/08 at 10:35 PM

Just for a laugh, heres the bit that got me the engine and gearbox at the right price Rescued attachment oops.jpg
Rescued attachment oops.jpg

Coose - 7/3/08 at 01:11 PM

Ooooh yer monkey - that's taken a pummelling!

ch1ll1 - 7/3/08 at 02:11 PM

a little liquid metal and it will be as good as new

ReMan - 9/3/08 at 11:58 PM

Well as suspected the Haynes instructions were a pile of poo, listing every stage of the opreration, except for getting the bearing off!

For reference, if anyone comes looking the shaft shown(sprocket splines) and the bushing hammer through the bearing, so taking all the gears off is a waste of time. Unless you want to be posh and use a puller to pull the bearing off, in which case you'll need them off to hook behing the bearing.
Cheers