Board logo

Thought for debate - engine mounting
macspeedy - 20/2/08 at 09:09 PM

I'm no expert but i was looking at how to mount my bike engine and thought how is it mounted in the bike, from the look of it its from one side.

That made me wonder why not do it the same way. I also started to be slightly concerned that if you do add other mounting points you could be putting stress on the block.

Probably just worrying about nothing.

r1_pete - 20/2/08 at 09:27 PM

Something like this, maybe a bit more bracing, the 4 squares being the chassis rails..... Rescued attachment idea.jpg
Rescued attachment idea.jpg

ChrisGamlin - 20/2/08 at 09:58 PM

I think you've probably misunderstood the way a bike engine is mounted in a BEC because I dont think anybody adds extra mounting points when mounting it in a car, we all just use the original pickup points.

For example, my R1 install...

R1 Engine Cradle Front
R1 Engine Cradle Front

R1 Engine Cradle
R1 Engine Cradle

cheers

Chris

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 21/2/08 at 06:46 PM

my blackbird engine mounts
wayno!! Rescued attachment DSCN1606.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1606.JPG

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 21/2/08 at 06:48 PM

still needs tigging!! Rescued attachment DSCN1610.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1610.JPG

SPYDER - 26/2/08 at 07:49 PM

Here is our creation made entirely from ally. Rigidly mounted to engine at six points and rubber bush mounted to chassis at four points.
All joints fully notched. It dis-assembles into four pieces for removal/ fitting. M10 capheads through the rubber bushes.
Engine is 929 Blade, chassis is Stuart Taylor Phoenix.
It is well over-engineered but what the hell.
It only cost us the price of the tubing, around £25 or so.
And a couple of days fabrication and welding.
I have seen some very spindly looking cradles that seem to work OK, so going to these lengths is probably not really necessary, and a degree of flexibility may even be beneficial.
I would agree with M10 bolts for mounting though.
Geoff.