Board logo

Cleaning Bike Engine
cloudy - 9/1/08 at 10:56 PM

What's the best way to clean a bike engine? I don't think steam cleaning is a good idea due to the exposed alternator and clutch cylinder input. Is there something I can use to get some good results with just scrubbing?

James

zxrlocost - 9/1/08 at 11:00 PM

hi mate brake cleaner and once rinsed off silicone tyre spray on a sponge

although Ive fitted new clips etc to this

Description
Description

[Edited on 9/1/08 by zxrlocost]

blakep82 - 9/1/08 at 11:04 PM

spit and a toothbrush

i cleaned my vauxhall engine with a degreaser gun, gunk and the compressor.

skodaman - 9/1/08 at 11:30 PM

toohtbrush and solvol autosol

Mr Whippy - 10/1/08 at 12:11 AM

yeah but what about the fins on an air cooled engine??

I've tried vinegar only to make it ten times worse now it looks right grotty. I think it's the grade of metal being soft and easly stained, I don't want to use anything ruff like a wire brush and don't like black painted engines.

any ideas?

stuart_g - 10/1/08 at 08:09 AM

parafin is a good cleaner and desolves grease.

RazMan - 10/1/08 at 08:51 AM

I tried Gunk engine cleaner last time and I am still smelling the stuff months later everytime the engine warms up.

Paraffin seems to be quite good at removing oil and grease but clean alloy engines tend to get a lot of oxide especially during the winter - I find alloy wheel cleaner works quite well.

BenB - 10/1/08 at 10:21 AM

Ali engines oxidise. There's not much you can do about it unless you're prepared to have a life of polishing.... Each to their own but for me, unless it makes the drive better / more comfortable or makes the engine more powerful I've got better things to do... Then again, maybe one that's why I don't open the bonnet up on the LocoPan much

Snuggs - 10/1/08 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I don't want to use anything ruff like a wire brush and don't like black painted engines.

any ideas?

Paint it Silver